4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New mustang owner!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:17 PM
ldutton6

Cool New mustang owner!

Hey Everyone,

I just bought by first mustang but my 6th Ford. I love the car! Its a 2004 Mustang GT 40th Anni with 74K. Got it for $7500 in Springfield, Mass. Car runs PERFECT and looks great.

What are a few things I should know about this year mustang? Anything to change or fix immediately? Its basically stock so I have a few things to do. I bough the Mach 1 Lip and wheels spacers today. I don't like the way Ford has the rear wheels deep in the fender.

Thanks guys!

LeeNew mustang owner!-mustang.jpg
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Looks great! Welcome to the club!! Not sure what your looking to do with the car, but if you want to start modifying it there is an awesome sticky thread on top of this forum that gives a great break down of what mods are out there and which to start with.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 AM
ldutton6

After I posted this I saw it... haha. I have always been into cars and bikes so I'm not new to wrenching just new into mustangs I should say.

I put it up in the air last night and its perfect so I was very happy to see that. No leaks, rattles, and barely any rust for a north east car. I love driving it! Its literally my favorite thing I've ever owned and ive had some fast bikes/cars. Smooth and the way I like my Fords!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Confirms what I think is the current value of my very similar car,which I may offer for sale one of these days.Mine is a NE car too,and totally rust free.
Various maintenance items that you can do.I'd also make sure that the body drains are clear just ahead of the rear wheels,as these cars are notorious for creating puddles behind the front seats.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:13 AM
ldutton6

Okkk sooo confirms wtf my problem is then! I had water right behind the rear seat in that leather material. Where are the drains?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ldutton6
Okkk sooo confirms wtf my problem is then! I had water right behind the rear seat in that leather material. Where are the drains?
Actually,that's another common problem of the car. ;-(...if you're talking about the material between the rear seat and the rear window.Apparently they can get wear holes in the rear corners of the top,which allows rain to drip into that area.I can't find any wear issue or hole in mine,yet it gets water in there,for the past year or so.
The water in rear footwell problem is caused by the drain slots in the end of the side rail clogging.The water runs through the car structure,and gets backed up,and oozes through the floor seams.The drainage slots are just ahead of the rear wheel,diagonal to it.Sort of a horizontal slot,that a dime could be put in.
Other common problems are: cracked intake manifold,and the ABS system going out.
I've experienced all of these wonderful things on my pampered 79k car that I purchased new.
I'm on the fence about keeping mine,though it is a fun car to drive.Fortunately,the 7k or so is small change to me,so I'll probably keep driving it until it gets some issue that I don't want to deal with(so far,I'm the only one who has done mechanical work on it)even just something like a clutch,and I'll just give someone a great bargain on the car and let him deal with it.
If I can go another year without issues,and it goes from a 7k car to a 6k car,that's perfectly fine too.Even beyond that,I reckon any half decent GT vert has to be worth 5k.

Last edited by Camster; 06-03-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard.

Nice looking Mustang!!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Backyard Buddy
1st Gear Member

Very nice. Congrats!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Welcome. 1st thing gears and subframes are a must!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 AM
ldutton6

Thanks everyone! So, I put it up in the air Thursday night and luckily it needs NOTHING! I am going to replace all the fluids but its beautiful underneath. I found it has a short shift kit which was great to find and it has subframe connecters already. Now, my mechanic said it has them stock due to its a convertible? This true?