4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cam still froze

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
This is stupid, why tell someone to give up and not do it yourself and stop trying to learn.
What's stupid is trying to do things on your own, having no clue and taking sand paper to your cam caps. Sometimes the best advice is being honest with people. telling them maybe it's a good idea to not try and tinker with your own stuff if you have no clue how to climb out of the hole you just dug

Last edited by WhiteFoxGT; 06-12-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:54 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Drastang

throw heads away ...trash them........good thing I know some of you just talk out your *** and don't have a clue what your talking about.

pretty much only people on here I know I can listen to is oxfordgt and jwogg666 the rest of you mostly just wanna hate.
I was a Ford tech for quite a few years, master ASE certified, and currently own/operate an independent repair facility since late 2009...but sure I am talking from my ***... coming from the guy who took sand paper to a critical machine fit engine component...and is now on a mustang forum asking for a miracle fix from strangers who wont ever see the car..

but by all means... listen to your buddy jwog when he said the same thing i said....throw em out, because they are most likely junk now.

Last edited by WhiteFoxGT; 06-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I think this guy doesn't know what he doesn't know.

I think is entertaining.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:39 AM
chipss36

Default tourqe?

71-106 in. lbs. for cam caps...

wondering how much you set them at? I start at 70 then 80 , and on last round at 90 inch pounds and call it good, cant believe how you could strip a cam cap bolt?
Attached Thumbnails cam still froze-13245488_10209669281314519_5543828035009938202_n.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 07:49 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i feel for a guy who is trying to get a porterhouse project done on hotdog money but........... in my experience it costs much more to try and do it yourself if you dont know how to do it, and ruin things by doing it incorrectly.. we all learn through experience, in this case i think the op will learn the hard way. if i was the op, i would save up some money, take in all my parts to an engine builder, and have them build the engine, and repair anything i had messed up. the op has a lot of money invested in these parts...........one small mistake on assembly and you might have scrap metal on startup. just my opinion
Old 06-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chipss36
71-106 in. lbs. for cam caps...

wondering how much you set them at? I start at 70 then 80 , and on last round at 90 inch pounds and call it good, cant believe how you could strip a cam cap bolt?
Not everyone does their work with a torque wrench.

Doubtful that I'll use it again,but I invested in a good one to do my intake manifold.I wanted the job done in the best possible way.The wrench was just part of the expense,and I was still way ahead over paying someone to do it.
Plenty of homecrafter guys just do it the old fashioned way,which might have been fine for steel and iron,but not aluminum.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I helped a guy rebuild an old 350 chevy engine, got to the point of cleaning up the head gasket surfaces. But we didnt have any thing really to clean em up with, so I told the guy wait till morning and I would bring 3m rolox attatchment over. I come in the morning and he is using a 60 grit sanding wheel. He says look how clean they came, mind you he asked me about using it the night before and I said DONT!!! I looked at him and said well Im done with that engine. Needs to go to machine shop and have the surfaces milled, he tried to make it work but he blew the head gaskets with in 200 miles.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:16 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM
chipss36

its one thing to learn something, and with the internet you have plenty of resources to learn, I do it everyday, mindlessly hacking away at things, will lead you to where you are now, if a cam cap is missing from a head, most recommend trashing it, if cam journals are scored, trash it, very few machinist can line bore a pi head journals , and the cost would be more than a "pick a part" special anyway....
when people say junk it, its sound advice. these heads have very little oil pressure in them and are not very forgiving in that area.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:13 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by chipss36
its one thing to learn something, and with the internet you have plenty of resources to learn, I do it everyday, mindlessly hacking away at things, will lead you to where you are now, if a cam cap is missing from a head, most recommend trashing it, if cam journals are scored, trash it, very few machinist can line bore a pi head journals , and the cost would be more than a "pick a part" special anyway....
when people say junk it, its sound advice. these heads have very little oil pressure in them and are not very forgiving in that area.

oh no, we just talk from our *** remember

if you really want to laugh look at his post history of him trying to fudge together the rest of the motor...grinding on stuff that doesnt need ground, and putting it all together and not being able to turn motor over... lmfao.. but hey what do WE know about motors.

Last edited by WhiteFoxGT; 06-15-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: cam still froze