4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is it time to sell my 99 Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Arianek

Default Is it time to sell my 99 Cobra?

It has 77k miles and has been babied. Last week wouldn't start and my mechanic said it has no compression in at least 2 cylinders. I assume it's a tensioner, but don't have the tools/time to fix it myself. Mechanic said he won't really know the cause and extent of damage until he gets it apart, which makes sense. My guy is awesome but rebuilding engines isn't his specialty.

Is it wishful thinking to hope I can get this fixed for less than 4k inc parts and labor? If it's possible, what's the best way to find the honest gearhead willing to fix it for that price? If not, what should I be asking for an engine-less Cobra project car?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I don't know Cobra engines at all and I'm not following the logic of a tensioner being the culprit,but when I hear "two cylinders with no compression",I wonder if they are next to each other,indicative of a blown head gasket.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Can't believe your motor is gonna need that kind of work done with those few miles.

I would get a second opinion. I would agree with Camster.