4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine Install Unknown Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Install Unknown Connectors

Hello Guys,

I am doing some work on a mustang for a friend. 98 Mustang GT 4.6. We use a newer explorer alum block & put on PI intake and heads. Longtube headers and some other goodies. When I got the car it was all apart. I am having a bit of issue figuring out where a couple connectors/vacuum & brackets go. I am attaching some pictures. If you could help that would be great. I am not sure if maybe some stuff is because of the new harness on the PI head having nothing to connect to on the 98 harness, or if I am missing something.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 01-30-2017, 03:33 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

picture number 1, is a DPFE Differential Pressure Feedback EGR, the tube that screws in to the EGR goes down to the driver side Exhaust manifold has two places that you can put rubber hoses on the they go to the DPFE, they look like vacuum lines if you put long tube headers on you may not have that EGR connection anymore but you would have to eliminate the egr both physically and at the ECU.

Picture number two, looks like an aftermarket Plenum.TB (original Plenum would have had vacuum ports for those lines

picture number three looks like an oil pressure sending unit connector Not sure

Picture four is a motor mount bolt (Mount to engine block) the wire is a ground strap and must be connected not sure how you got that bolt out without braking the wire i have always had to cut the wire

Picture five is a starter cable support and gets bolted to the oil pan

Picture six is a oil pressure sending unit but looks to be the wrong one

Picture seven pretty sure that's a ground take a multi meter make sure the battery is disconnected touch the wire with one probe and car body with the other if you have continuity its a ground

eight is the EVAP Pruge valve connector

need a better picture of the last one some 4.6l had a temperature sender that goes to the ECU and is used as overheat protection

These are all educated guesses so proceed with caution (Pretty sure i'm right) good luck
Old 01-30-2017, 05:39 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJL
picture number 1, is a DPFE Differential Pressure Feedback EGR, the tube that screws in to the EGR goes down to the driver side Exhaust manifold has two places that you can put rubber hoses on the they go to the DPFE, they look like vacuum lines if you put long tube headers on you may not have that EGR connection anymore but you would have to eliminate the egr both physically and at the ECU.

Picture number two, looks like an aftermarket Plenum.TB (original Plenum would have had vacuum ports for those lines

picture number three looks like an oil pressure sending unit connector Not sure

Picture four is a motor mount bolt (Mount to engine block) the wire is a ground strap and must be connected not sure how you got that bolt out without braking the wire i have always had to cut the wire

Picture five is a starter cable support and gets bolted to the oil pan

Picture six is a oil pressure sending unit but looks to be the wrong one

Picture seven pretty sure that's a ground take a multi meter make sure the battery is disconnected touch the wire with one probe and car body with the other if you have continuity its a ground

eight is the EVAP Pruge valve connector

need a better picture of the last one some 4.6l had a temperature sender that goes to the ECU and is used as overheat protection

These are all educated guesses so proceed with caution (Pretty sure i'm right) good luck
You are awesome. Pic 1 i was looking specifically at the vacuum lines. I do have the egr all hooked up. I have two vacuum lines there and 2 on the side of the throttle body. Picture 2. Are these to be connected ? Are they interchangable?

Picture 8. Im wondering if this was only on the newer modles. I cant find it in my harness. The motor mount bolt makes sense. I didnt take it apart. Im not sure how they pulled that off.

It does look like my old pressure sender is different for what my harness is setup for. I am curious what i need here. If someone has some advice.