4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 Mach 1 Motor Mounts

Old 03-22-2017, 12:46 AM
JROCars

Default 03 Mach 1 Motor Mounts

Hey guys!

I have a 2003 Mach 1 and I think the motor mounts could be bad. I was driving it tonight and it felt pretty good but then I got on it a bit, and all the sudden the engine felt different in a way, like it wasn't pulling as hard. Then when I stopped at the light, the whole car was kind of shaking. I also heard a clunking noise when I started accelerating at certain RPM's. The car pretty much shakes when Im on the gas, and when its at idle even if its in neutral. After some research I think it might be time for motor mounts. So my question is: would I be able to do this by myself? I dont have an engine lift or anything but I do have a jack and jack stands. Let me know! Thanks everyone!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I haven't done a V8 car or any Mustang,but I've done other cars with nothing more.If you have someone hit the gas in neutral,while you observe the motor,the amount of rock might indicate a bad mount.
You might also investigate the easier issue- a bad trans mount.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:10 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

If you have an automatic have someone put it in drive put thier foot on the break and slightly rev the engine , if the engine lifts more than likely a motor mount. putting in reverse will check the other side

if manual let the clutch out while holding your foot on the break.

I don't know what your experience is, does your car have headers? you can change them you will need a hydraulic jack for sure and you will be working in tight spaces but it can be done.

Good Luck