4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Chirping noise coming from transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Newedgetim

Default Chirping noise coming from transmission?

The car has a exedy stage 2 clutch with abou 15k on it oem clutch cable to an aftermarket clutch quadrant all done by previous owner. i get a chirping noise when the car is in neutral at idle and from what i can hear it gets faster as im in any gear driving( cant hear it past 1500 rpm because of exhaust) and it goes away when clutch it pushed in. anyone else thinking throw out bearing? or would that only make noise when the clutch is pushed in? i also get a chatter under 2k RPM in 3rd and 4th gear but i do not know if they are related.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Chirping that goes away when you press the clutch in is due to the throw out bearing barely making contact with the clutch fork when the clutch is out. The ford clutches were designed to have a slight bit of preload on the throw out bearing, if you take a little bit of slack out of the cable it should stop that.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Newedgetim

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Chirping that goes away when you press the clutch in is due to the throw out bearing barely making contact with the clutch fork when the clutch is out. The ford clutches were designed to have a slight bit of preload on the throw out bearing, if you take a little bit of slack out of the cable it should stop that.
and how would I go along doing that? I have been thinking of replacing clutch anyways though, it has 15k miles on it and I heard the staged ones don't last very long compared to OEM style, but maybe if I can save some money for now that would make life a little easier.
and how bad is it damaging the bearing to be making contact with the clutch? It's been happening for probably 5 thousand miles now
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

lay on the floor, push the pedal down with one hand and use a large screw driver to hold the quadrant in place, then lift the pedal slowly, it will click,,, one click should be all you need to get that slack out.