4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lokar ED-5014 Dipstick Tube only goes in 1/4 inch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Gene Sass

Default Lokar ED-5014 Dipstick Tube only goes in 1/4 inch

I've almost finished reassembly after changing head gaskets and the stock dipstick tube broke so I ordered the Lokar flexible tube and finally have to ask you guys for help....
First the tube and dipstick are both shorter that the stock parts
Second the tapered end, which is about 5 inches long only goes into the hole in the pan about 1/4 inch.
The engine is in the car so I can't really see in it but I have used a small screwdriver to scrape around the hole trying to make sure theres nothing left in it that would block it.

Anyone see and solve this issue?
Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Yes the tube and stick are both shorter, but thats ok, it will still register correctly provided you get the base all the way into the block.

You cant just shove the base in from above, you have to remove the base from the tube. If its anything like all the Lokar tubes Ive used the base unscrews from the tube and you can use a good amount of vasiline or grease on the o-ring then use a rubber dead blow or rawhide hammer and lightly tap it into the block. If you cant reach in there with a hammer, then a long piece of 2x2 or heavy wood dowel can be used to tap it in. Its not just going to slide in easily like the stock ones do. As long as your sure you have removed all the old pieces of the stock tube, and you made sure the Oring is not still in the hole it should go into place with a bit of light persuasion.