4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shock/Strut Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 PM
familyman333

Default Shock/Strut Question

I have SR Performance springs on my '99 GT convertible with OEM original shocks/struts. Would the SR Performance shocks/struts be a good match for the springs or would you recommend others? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. That said, I tend to be a middle of the road shopper for most things. The SR dampers may be ok or at least a step up from worn out 18 year old shocks, I dunno, but as with most things SR you will probably find yourself wishing you had spent a little more in a year or two. And suspension is definitely one of those places you don't wanna cheap out on. Doesn't mean you gotta go spend almost $700 on Bilstiens, but there is a noticeable difference in performance and quality/longevity between cheap shocks and more expensive ones. Nothing sucks more than buying the same part twice because the first one sucked - just do it right the first time.

For decent "middle of the road" shocks/struts I would have to recommend Koni STR.T's. $400 and a couple hours to put them on and you'll be happy and have known quality parts that will last you a long time.