4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 GT 4R70W shifter sticks when shifting to drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Dads2002

Default 2002 GT 4R70W shifter sticks when shifting to drive

Hello. I'm a new member and hopeful someone can help. My 02 Mustang GT automatic trans. I completed the jmod over the weekend which went really well. The car drives fine, shifts firm from 1st to 2nd as well as 2nd to 3rd. Also shifting to overdrive is flawless. Reverse works perfect as well. No check engine lights and fluid level is where it should be. The issue I'm having is; with the engine running and foot on the brake. I can move the shifter to reverse, then to neutral with no problems. When moving from neutral to drive the shifter seems stuck and with a little effort it will go into drive and drives perfect. At the same time with my foot on the brake, once in drive I can move the shifter two 2nd and then first with no resistance. Then back to 2nd fine. But then from 2nd to drive it sticks again. With a little effort I can move it to drive. Then with effort move to neutral. The issue is right at the drive selection. I've disconnected the shift cable to till that out. I have the pan off and don't see anything catching/binding. I can move the linkage by hand with the same result. Gets stuck at drive.
Pardon the long post. Figured more detail is best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.