4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blowing 60 amp fan fuse

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Firearms2go

Default Blowing 60 amp fan fuse

Hello, I have a 97 GT which I've already replaced the thermostat, temp sensors, replaced the fan before finding this 60 amp fuse. Noticed it was blown replaced it lastnight and earlier this afternoon it popped again. What could be causing this? At this point I'm getting really fustrated and any help would be extremely appreciated!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:24 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The only thing that causes a fuse to blow is drawing to much current across it. You either have a short in the wiring or the fan motor itself is internally shorted causing it to draw to many amps across the fuse. Or the fan motor is starting to freeze up causing to much amperage draw. Spin the fan blades by hand,, they should move freely if it take effort for you to spin them with your hand then the motor is bad
Old 07-22-2017, 10:42 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
The only thing that causes a fuse to blow is drawing to much current across it. You either have a short in the wiring or the fan motor itself is internally shorted causing it to draw to many amps across the fuse. Or the fan motor is starting to freeze up causing to much amperage draw. Spin the fan blades by hand,, they should move freely if it take effort for you to spin them with your hand then the motor is bad

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but seems he replaced the fan before he found the blown fuse, then the new fuse blew? Look for sharp-edged sheet metal having cut through insulation of fan feed wiring. imp