4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L Fix or Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 02:56 PM
James Edwin Short

Default 4.6L Fix or Swap

Hi All, got a 2003 Mustang GT Convertible in winter storage. I bought this new in 03 and drove for many years. It blew a plug and needed a head replacement and I did a bit of work to it to replace head. It has been sitting and I want to start to think about getting it up and running again. I plan some minor restoration/customization. It is pretty rust free and was always a good daily driver. Engine has about 180K miles. For this post I have 2 questions. First, to get it running with the new head, I have been trying to get the driver side timing chain and cam correct. The passenger side chain was never removed. I marked both chains and sprockets before removing, but the driver side valves do not seem to be in the correct position while rotating the engine manually. I was hoping to just pop the driver side chain back on in the marked positions to restore the timing to where it was. Any insight on this?
So for part 2, question is should I even bother with trying to get the existing engine working due to its age. Is this a good time to start thinking about dropping a crate or remanufactured engine into the car. The budget will not be too great, but given the amount of mileage on the existing motor, I'm wondering if it is time for a swap. So I am looking for recommendations as to what a good swap would be. It would have to involve some compatibility with the existing 5 speed manual transmission and ECU/computer. Although I would entertain more traditional normally aspirated and fueled solution or any power adders. Not sure if there are any concerns about keeping the correct engine for numbers matching car in long term. Will probably hang to to the existing motor to play with outside of the car in any event.

Thoughts, recommendations, etc?
Old 08-01-2022, 05:14 PM
James Edwin Short

Wow! Just found this post. Very timely as the 2003 is now out of storage and engine is pilled. I was able to score a remanufactured Blueprint engine and am currently pulling parts of the old 4.6L 2v. Body, and floors, are in much better shape than I thought. Hitting the undercarriage with POR15 while drivetrain and exhaust is out. So I guess I will pick things up and ask what parts the experts here would replace while engine and transmission are out. I have a short list:

Clutch, pressure plate maybe flywheel
Motor mounts (replace with urethane)
Exhaust manifold (probably shorty headers)
H-Pipe to off road X-pipe, add cat back
Starter
Needs alternator as I stole it for my Explorer (will swap back)

Any suggestions, or things I forgot...would not mind brand suggestions but keep in mind this is a budget build as I do not want to sink in any more than the book value.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:00 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Check for any leaks big or small, it's a lot easier to change out seals when the engine in on a stand than it is in the engine bay