Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 GT Issues - New Owner

Old 01-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Raambzy

Default 2003 GT Issues - New Owner

Hello,

I recently (a little over a week ago) bought a 2003 Automatic GT. A few days ago I started to notice some issues that might or might not be so common - I'm new to this, after all. I'm going to list them and would appreciate any advice on where to start... thank you to anyone in advance that provides help. The car is my daily and I need to have this resolved as soon as possible.

The car has 176k original miles and seemed to be running healthy before this starting happening:
  1. Rough idle - 2 times that I have started the car, the RPMs went all the way down upon start-up and nearly died, but did not. After this, a rough idle is present when starting up and slowing down while driving.
  2. At 50-60 MPH ONLY when I am off the gas the car starts to "kick". Not too sure on how to describe this but the car starts to kick back and forth.
  3. At low RPMs and even at idle there is an excess amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust with a weird smell.

I have replaced the spark plugs at the advice of a friend but these problems all still persist. Any help/advice is appreciated! Thank you.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

Default MSD C

Have you replaced the on plug coil/wires? I would go with a new set of MSD coil/wires. They are a little pricey but worth the money.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM
urdj07

Originally Posted by Raambzy View Post
Hello,

I recently (a little over a week ago) bought a 2003 Automatic GT. A few days ago I started to notice some issues that might or might not be so common - I'm new to this, after all. I'm going to list them and would appreciate any advice on where to start... thank you to anyone in advance that provides help. The car is my daily and I need to have this resolved as soon as possible.

The car has 176k original miles and seemed to be running healthy before this starting happening:
  1. Rough idle - 2 times that I have started the car, the RPMs went all the way down upon start-up and nearly died, but did not. After this, a rough idle is present when starting up and slowing down while driving.
  2. At 50-60 MPH ONLY when I am off the gas the car starts to "kick". Not too sure on how to describe this but the car starts to kick back and forth.
  3. At low RPMs and even at idle there is an excess amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust with a weird smell.

I have replaced the spark plugs at the advice of a friend but these problems all still persist. Any help/advice is appreciated! Thank you.
Hello, I'm new owner and user too, I bought a 2002 Mustang GT from an auto auction as a project, I was having pretty much the same issue, I replaced the IAC valve but the car was stalling at idle, decided to check the spark plugs and they were in pretty bad conditions, also the cooling refrigerant was filtering from a bad manifold gasket, the product was 2 bad coils, replaced the spark plugs, coil and gasket and now the car it is running smooth.

I have found this information on this forum, hope can help.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-rough-14.html