4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Theft light on while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 PM
SoloDecarlo

Default Theft light on while driving

alright, I’ll try to be as direct as possible and list what the car has been doing.

. I went drifting for the first time and the car did fine.
. later that day, I got on the gas hard heading home and it’s like the car shut off temporarily
. Also the theft light will come on simultaneously (simultaneous with the cutting off of the car)
. The car has always come back to life within a few seconds of dying
. One day, the theft light came on while driving through the city and it was making the car run poorly. I turned it off and I started it back up and it ran normal. (This only happened once)
. I replaced the negative battery terminal. For the first time, since I went drifting, I was able to get all the way into the gas. Didna few pulls just from 1st - 2nd. On the last pull it shut off like it had done before
- I put in a spare battery, it made it further into the Rpms but still cut off.
. One day, the car cranked and died but aside from that, it has always started on the first attempt
- I can cruise into high rpms but as mentioned, I can’t go WOT

at the moment, the car can be driven regularly but if I get on the gas hard, it’ll cut off and the theft light comes on. I have a video if anyone needs it.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:25 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

What year Mustang?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sooo, you're driving it like you stole it (okay there), things will break when you do that.

Could be a fuel starvation issue. How old is the fuel filter what RPM's are you at when it shuts off? The car is designed to sputter at redline under load to keep you from blowing the motor but if you have sketchy fuel pressure that could cause the car to shut down.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:00 PM
SoloDecarlo

Okay, so I’ve driving the car like it’s prius. Typically shifting at 3k. I stopped by the bank and the car barely cranked back up. The idle was going up and down at consistent pattern. I turned it off and cranked back up and idled normal. Now, the car is driving as should and pulls without cutting off. Still looking for the fix because I doubt my car fixed itself

Last edited by SoloDecarlo; 01-31-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:06 PM
SoloDecarlo

Originally Posted by Derf00
Sooo, you're driving it like you stole it (okay there), things will break when you do that.

Could be a fuel starvation issue. How old is the fuel filter what RPM's are you at when it shuts off? The car is designed to sputter at redline under load to keep you from blowing the motor but if you have sketchy fuel pressure that could cause the car to shut down.

4K is when it cut off last time. I’ve had the car over a year and this problem never occurred. I tend to always only do pulls from 1st to 2nd. Not sure on the age of the fuel filter.