4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A very interesting issue happened today

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:14 PM
tigersfan45700

Exclamation A very interesting issue happened today

Well I wanted to see if anyone has ever heard of something like this happening ill try to keep it as short as possible. So I was in route to Lowe's to pick up an online order I bought and I noticed my motors RPM staying high while getting off the expressway and I didn't think much of it, maybe I looked down as it downshifted as I was slowing down coming to a stop light until I was fully stopped and the car was revving at 2000 and I had the brake pedal basically to the floor trying to keep it stopped, I make it to a parking lot and its in park still revving at 2000 holding perfectly steady there too which lead me to instantly check my throttle cable/pedal thinking it had to be caught on something but it moved freely and snapped closed at the throttle body and the pedal could be extended and pulled all the way out. After fiddling around in the lot for about 30 min the thing that somehow brought it back to a normal 950 idle was revving it up to about 5000 and it quickly stopped hanging and settled down and I drove it home and it ran great....it has me stumped I didnt unplug any sensors,battery,etc didnt adjust any cables literally just revved it to 5000 and it settled it back to normal, sorry for the long post I just wanted to get any input into what could've caused this im thinking it has to be electrical but I cant come up with any ideas of what revving it up wouldve done besides maybe clearing out something that was interfering with the MAF or throttle body cause I feel like if one of my sensors was on the way out revving it wouldn't magically "reset" the readings, well I really appreciate any insight or thoughts as this is me perplexed thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Stuck valve?
(My dad's truck did that when the valves would warm & refreeze & stick)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by tigersfan45700
Well I wanted to see if anyone has ever heard of something like this happening ill try to keep it as short as possible. So I was in route to Lowe's to pick up an online order I bought and I noticed my motors RPM staying high while getting off the expressway and I didn't think much of it, maybe I looked down as it downshifted as I was slowing down coming to a stop light until I was fully stopped and the car was revving at 2000 and I had the brake pedal basically to the floor trying to keep it stopped, I make it to a parking lot and its in park still revving at 2000 holding perfectly steady there too which lead me to instantly check my throttle cable/pedal thinking it had to be caught on something but it moved freely and snapped closed at the throttle body and the pedal could be extended and pulled all the way out. After fiddling around in the lot for about 30 min the thing that somehow brought it back to a normal 950 idle was revving it up to about 5000 and it quickly stopped hanging and settled down and I drove it home and it ran great....it has me stumped I didnt unplug any sensors,battery,etc didnt adjust any cables literally just revved it to 5000 and it settled it back to normal, sorry for the long post I just wanted to get any input into what could've caused this im thinking it has to be electrical but I cant come up with any ideas of what revving it up wouldve done besides maybe clearing out something that was interfering with the MAF or throttle body cause I feel like if one of my sensors was on the way out revving it wouldn't magically "reset" the readings, well I really appreciate any insight or thoughts as this is me perplexed thanks guys!
Clean your throttle body plate. If you take off the air intake hose, there's a gold looking plate that sits in the throttle body. It most likely has carbon build up caked on it. Find a TB cleaner at the parts store and follow the directions to clean it. If that doesn't fix it, your Idle Air Control might be clogged or on its way out.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

+1^ have to agree with Derf00