4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 PM
Alexander Belle

Default what to do?

my ol lady has a 4.6 ltr v6 99 ford mustang. late dec i noticed a major decrease in performance as well as a ton of mechanical issues have popped up since then. its been misting antifreeze out of the heat vents and overheating which could be one of many issues and more recently developed a oil leak somewhere and is now causing a smoking issue. she loves the car and wants to keep it as it is her first mustang. however the cost to keep it running may be extreme. it has approximately 200,000 miles on it. would a motor swap be within reason or should we try to find a new mustang? open to suggestions and ideas here. thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

If it's been otherwise well-maintained these past 200,000 miles and needs just an engine (or engine work) and a heater core, then it may very well be worth keeping. I don't know where you would find parts for a "4.6 ltr v6" though, haha. At any rate, there's a lot of money to be saved if you're willing to do the work yourself.

The misting coolant has got to be the heater core, which will require pulling the dash apart. As for the engine, you may not even have to swap it out if she's been careful to not let the engine run at overheat temps. There's a chance that it might need nothing more than a new heater core in order to keep the coolant from leaking and triggering the overheating. You'll have to poke around and narrow down where that oil leak is coming from, and you'll also have to be more specific about the reduced performance. When was the last time it had a tune-up?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:04 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I realize that it is still winter, but in the meantime you could easily bypass the heater core and that should stop the overheating and coolant loss issues for the time being. Hopefully she has a warm jacket.

Replacing heater core on these cars is no joke and requires complete removal of the dashboard. I'm not jealous of you at all. On the plus side, new heater core is only about $50 (I got bored one time and looked it up).
Old 03-07-2018, 07:58 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

An engine swap is a heckuva lot cheaper than a payment book. You can get a solid used engine for under $1000.00, drop it in and be on your way or if you don't feel like doing the work yourself figure another grand for somebody to do it for you. Either way, it's cheaper to keep her.