4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4R70W stuck in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Default 4R70W stuck in 2nd

Well looks like my transmission is only getting 2nd gear. Goes into park/reverse and 2nd but won't do anything else, meaning it goes right into 2nd and skips 1st entirely. I thought it was my transmission lever position sensor and replaced it but same problem. Anyone know what I should go from there, sounds like a valve body problem maybe? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:50 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

is the od light flashing after you drive it? if so pull the codes and see what is flagged. no matter what you will most likely have to pull the valve body and pressure test the clutch apply circuits and inspect the VB for sticking valves ETC.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Nope no codes or lights. Looks like i will have to get it taken apart sometime in the next few weeks/months. I have another 4r70w that has 2nd gear clutch blow, maybe that valve body is still good, it has been sitting out for about 4 years though.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:07 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
Nope no codes or lights. Looks like i will have to get it taken apart sometime in the next few weeks/months. I have another 4r70w that has 2nd gear clutch blow, maybe that valve body is still good, it has been sitting out for about 4 years though.
when dealing with valve bodies, making sure they stay clean is key, a human hair will stick a valve.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:26 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

yeah, i figure they were sensitive. Maybe i'll try to at least look at the shape of the one i have out. Probably any seals in it would be dried out too much now? Just out of curiosity could this be from it being towed with it in gear? It might have happened i'm not sure, but about 2 weeks later is when this started and then got worse.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:57 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

depends on how far it was towed. with the engine off there is no lube flow in the trans, long distance and/or high speed will cause internal damage.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

if that was the case it would have only been about 2.5 miles thru town. i do know they messed up my frame upfront, they totally didn't tow it right. Go after them now.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Ok, guys. Yet another spring is coming and since I didn't get anywhere on this last year or the year before. (I bought a project house and there goes all my time, money and will power to do anything else) I really want my car back! I had bought all new electronics and gaskets and started to put the valve body back on. When I fully cleaned out the tranmission pan I found good size chucks of metal in the bottom. Looks like a tab or two from a friction disk. Was I right to stop? My plan is to pull it out and have a shop rebuild the mechanicals. Any other options or thoughts? Anyone done a manual swap? Kind of want a 5 speed in it but seems like a big job and I just want to drive it again. Thanks guys.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Chunks? Oh, that doesn't sound good. Yeah, I'd say that calls for a rebuild. Who knows what that kind of damage those chunks did on their way to the pan, or, if there are chunks still up in the case. If the debris wreaked havoc on the hard parts, you might be better off with a salvage yard transmission...
Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I am looking around to getting it rebuilt and looking for a cheapo to get it back on the road. This is my 2nd transmission too. I still the other one too, it totally blew 2nd gear but other wise work. I do kind of want to do swap to a manual but man I just don't see it worth the effort but they a T45 is so much cheaper other then having to get all the linkages and pedals and such. If anyone knows a good place to get a cheap 4r70w that would be super helpful. I am largely striking out.

Quick Reply: 4R70W stuck in 2nd