4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 GT knocking sound from under the engine. Spun rod bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:50 PM
DenissK

Default 98 GT knocking sound from under the engine. Spun rod bearing?

112K miles.

I've had some rattling/ ticking noise coming from under the engine/ transmission area recently. I went under the car and could not find anything loose. I would only hear this noise when listening under the car, not when standing in front of the engine or sitting in the car.
Recently I started hearing this noise when sitting in the car at idle with radio and AC off. You can't hear this noise when the AC or radio is on. The ticking is somewhat subtle but gets slightly louder over time. When I give it gas, the ticking does not intensify nor does it intensify when the RPMs fall after giving it some throttle. Or so it seems at least because the exhaust sound may mask it.
I started hearing this ticking in the car after something fell off from under the car. I was driving in traffic when I suddenly hear something flying under the car and hitting the bottom of the car so to say. I started hearing this ticking noise the following day. I went under the car again and could not find any missing bolts or anything like that.

I've yet to drain the oil and see if there's excessive metal trim in there.

What could it be? I hope for the best but I am also prepared for the worst. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Denissk, I don't think it's a rod bearing, yet. If my guess is right, something flew under your motor, and dented your oil pan. That ticking noise might be a part of your lower/bottom end scraping the oil pan. If that is the case, then that ticking/rubbing could cause a split in your oil pan. That would certainly be followed by a rod/crank bearing knock followed by all hell breaking loose. Go under the car and check your pan for any dents.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 PM
DenissK

Hey. I just went under my car to inspect the oil pan. I did not see any dents or any other type of damage done to it.
After inspecting the oil pan, I started up the car and let it idle for 10 min while on jack stands. Once I started hearing the ticking sound, I carefully got under the car under the oil pain to try to hear where the sound was coming from. With all the engine and exhausts sounds being present it was hard to hear whether 1) the ticking sound is there 2) where this ticking sound is coming from. I got closer to the transmission where the clutch fork is, flywheel etc.. and I believe that is where the ticking noise is coming from. Again, with all the engine and exhaust sounds, it is hard to say for sure but that are resembled the closet sound to that ticking. Then again, I don't know what sounds come from that area when everything is okay.

Finally, I gave it some throttle and the ticking intensified for a bit around 1k mark when the RPMs went down, then the ticking resumed its usual rhythm so to say.

I replaced my flywheel and clutch 2 years ago if that is any help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by DenissK; 03-21-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:13 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

if you push the clutch pedal does the noise go away or change? might be throwout bearing
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Denissk, sure glad it wasn't a oil pan issue. I agree with WhiteFoxGt that the clutch assembly/unit would be the next suspect. Noises are so hard to track down, they seem to move just as you are closing in on them.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 PM
DenissK

I pressed the clutch pedal when the ticking was present and the sound went away. It came back after 30 sec or so after I depressed it. Is it the TO bearing?

I know it is a matter of time before it gets really loud and ultimately fails. I drive to work 6 miles round trip 3-4 times a week. Can I still drive it before taking it to the shop?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Denissk, you might have a little time left since the sound didn't come back for 30 seconds after pressing in on the clutch pedal. The throw out bearing is really toast if the noise stays there immediately after pressing down on clutch pedal. Have this attended to as soon as possible.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 PM
DenissK

Thank you for the advice. I actually timed it just for fun. The noise disappears for slightly over a minute before it slowly starts coming back. I know it doesn't matter much and should be replaced as soon as possible.

If it is not too much trouble, could you please look at my other thread about misfire. I did not get many responses there so I wondered if you could give some advice in that situation.
Here's the link:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ng-sensor.html