4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

difference between short and long headers

Old 10-28-2005, 03:31 PM
bumpinwheels95
2nd Gear Member

Default difference between short and long headers

hey guys what the difference between the two headers..

which one give u the most power?
which is the direct fit?
what ones do u have one?
What brands are good for my 96 gt

plz comment thanx
Old 10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: difference between short and long headers

Shorties will give you VERY little is any power advantage. Long tubes are he way to go, but Boy, are they a BIATCH to install
Old 10-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: bumpinwheels95

hey guys what the difference between the two headers..

which one give u the most power?
which is the direct fit?
what ones do u have one?
What brands are good for my 96 gt

plz comment thanx
A couple of busted knuckles and bruised arms, a book of explitives, and a whole lotta beer.

Long tubes give useable HP gaines by themselves
Both are direct fit - just ease of installation is significantly different. I don't think 'Ease of install' and 'Longtubes' should go on the same page!
neither, looking at shorties with a full exhaust
Dunno I have a 00 V6.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Shorties such as the JBA's will give you some HP advantage, but the long tubes with the collectors will give you more. However, either one will be an advantage to the stock manifold. Now, this is coming from an old classic guy, so ignore me if I am wrong with your newer engine set-up.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Shorties such as the JBA's will give you some HP advantage, but the long tubes with the collectors will give you more. However, either one will be an advantage to the stock manifold. Now, this is coming from an old classic guy, so ignore me if I am wrong with your newer engine set-up.
wow some one that reads and does research.

1. hands down long tubes give most hp (good shorties such as bbk's do give you some)
2. shorties will bolt in with no modifacation the the rest of the exhaust you will have to get a new mid pipe for long tubes.
3. bbk shorties 5.0 mustang mag did a write up on them there test car showed 10 wrhp. (not bad for shorty)
4.bassani borla bbk jbk stay away form the ford motor sports they are what gave shorties a bad name on these cars. there are a couple of companies that sell long tubes for like $150 don't get them you will have problems in the long run.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 PM
cobra97forme

If you got alot of time and patience definatly go with the long tubes its power out of the box and will breathe alot better that shorties with other modifications
Old 10-29-2005, 09:19 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Long tubes better than shorties. However, if you go the shorty route, don't spend $ on BBK, JBA, MAC, etc. Buy the FRPP jet hot coated shorties. They ALL give the same gains - about 2 HP (except JBA, which strangely enough lowered HP/TRQ). Plus, you can get the FRPPs on ebay for $335 + shipping with the JH coating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

The FRPPs are ugly as hell, but work as well as the others, even the BBK snakes.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 AM
andy98gt
3rd Gear Member

DYNO Proven in a mustang magazine that Shorty headers on a 4.6 didnt do anything until about 4400 rpm and gained about 10 hp. Longtubes and there easier than everyone says they are, ive put mine on twice !
Old 10-30-2005, 05:53 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I admit that my numbers above are on an '05 GT, but across the board, no one produced more than 2-3 hp with the shorties. (I believe the car had a cat back on it, too.) And that was dyno proven. Look at the Nov issue of MM&FF. However, I did make one huge error: the FRPP shorties for the '05 are much better designed than the 01-04 version.

Yeah, LTs are best, but tranny work sucks more if you have LTs. Besides, the FRPPs won't affect my warranty. Most of the others won't either, provided it doesn't make it more difficult to work on the motor for the Ford mechanics. If it does, there are a lot of dealerships that won't touch warranty work with aftermarket parts, even if they are FRPP.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Bob99GTConv
I ♥ Acer

total crap. My BBK shorties+BBK catted X-pipe+tune = 13.65 down from 14.06. OK, you can argue the tune added some HP, but ti wouldnt give me that much of a gain. The dynos I read indicated the HP gains from good shorties(BBK) was almost as high as the LT's. but you got to get rid of the f-in ****ty stock CAT's guys, that is where the hold up is!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: difference between short and long headers