4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hydroboost problems..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:37 PM
beastlymustang

Default Hydroboost problems..

I need help!!! I Have a project car that’s using a Hydroboost brake system out of a mustang because a normal vacuum booster does not fit. I am having issues with it, was wondering if you guys could give a helping hand on possible Hydroboost do’s or donts, or specific bleeding procedures?
Brand new master, got a mustang Hydroboost kit including pump. Installed everything, drilled pedal 3/4” higher. Bled brakes, bled PS system. Pedal goes to floor and stays there, have some rear brake action but less in the front. I can still turn the wheels with my hand when pedal is to the floor, I can feel friction. Any ideas what this could be??? Been at it for about 2-3 weeks and have 0 clue what could be the issue....
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 PM
pure_kaos
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by beastlymustang
I need help!!! I Have a project car that’s using a Hydroboost brake system out of a mustang because a normal vacuum booster does not fit. I am having issues with it, was wondering if you guys could give a helping hand on possible Hydroboost do’s or donts, or specific bleeding procedures?
Brand new master, got a mustang Hydroboost kit including pump. Installed everything, drilled pedal 3/4” higher. Bled brakes, bled PS system. Pedal goes to floor and stays there, have some rear brake action but less in the front. I can still turn the wheels with my hand when pedal is to the floor, I can feel friction. Any ideas what this could be??? Been at it for about 2-3 weeks and have 0 clue what could be the issue....
After installing a steering gear or pump in a vehicle with a hydraboost braking system, you may discover odd problems after bleeding the system in the normal way. The problems would be lack of power assist in your brakes, lack of power steering or some combination of the two. The reason is air in the system. Air in the system can cause all kinds of strange problems with the hydraboost system.

A manual will tell you to use a vacuum bleed system which is very complicated and requires tools that many shops do not have. Another alternative that we find works well is as follows:
  1. Jack the vehicle up so the tires are just clear of the ground.
  2. Make sure the steering wheel is centered and start the engine.
  3. SLOWLY turn the steering wheel to the right half an inch from center and then left half an inch from center. Continue to do this SLOWLY increasing the amount you turn the wheel half an inch at a time until you are going lock to lock. This process should take at least a half hour.
  4. During this process, it is important that the fluid level in the pump remain above the pump casting so you do not introduce more air in the system.
  5. If you get small bubbles appearing in the fluid, you have to shut the vehicle off and walk away until the bubbles are all gone. If small bubbles re-appear, you need to shut the engine off again and take another break. There is no way to speed this process.
  6. Once you have gone through this process the steering and brakes should work.
Good luck

https://www.larescorp.com/tech-tips/...-instructions/
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 AM
beastlymustang

Haha yes I have read these exact imstructions and did this exactly already.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

pedal rod length incorrect?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 PM
beastlymustang

So I have another question, do you guys know if you have a properly working master cylinder, if you remove it from the booster/hydro is it possible to fully compress/push in the piston by taking the master and pushing the master with your hand against something hard like the edge of the booster/hydro, or firewall? If that made no sense I totally understand haha
Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a faulty master, i don't know what your experience level is but you do realize bleeding the booster is completely different than bleeding the brake system.

If the peddle is going to the floor you have a brake system issue