4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Torsen T2 vs Eaton true trac differential, dont want noisy or clunky.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:05 PM
lazer

Default Torsen T2 vs Eaton true trac differential, dont want noisy or clunky.

I have read alot of reviews and opinions on these diffs and I know they are both quality products but the truetrac seems to get the edge. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the truetrac but then I started reading that there is a problem with truetracs being noisy and clunky. That was from posts I read from a few years ago. Has anything been improved with the Truetrac or is the Torsen a better choice when it comes to quiet? I dont want to go with the T2R because they have a clutch pack that I want to get away from. The T2 doesnt have a clutch pack.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:22 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lazer
I have read alot of reviews and opinions on these diffs and I know they are both quality products but the truetrac seems to get the edge. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the truetrac but then I started reading that there is a problem with truetracs being noisy and clunky. That was from posts I read from a few years ago. Has anything been improved with the Truetrac or is the Torsen a better choice when it comes to quiet? I dont want to go with the T2R because they have a clutch pack that I want to get away from. The T2 doesnt have a clutch pack.
As far as I know, the two brand names refer to the same design type, a set of gearing which mechanically connects both axles together. It is up to the builder of the unit to ensure the gears are properly cut and meshed. It sounds like some manufacturing defects may have crept into the process of the one reported as clunky. Neither should be anything but silent, all the time. Two things come to mind: ring and pinion gear settings can produce clunk or whine, and, you can't believe everything on the 'net! imp

t
Old 06-09-2018, 10:26 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

TRUETRACK

TORSEN

The Torsen does not have a clutch pack either.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:29 PM
lazer

Yes they are both torque sensing diffs. and without a clutch pack but the Torsen T2R is a torque sensing also but does have a clutch pack. I have read quite a few post that say no matter how they had the truetrac set up (and some professionally) they still had a clunk and other noises when accelerating or decelerating. But like I said most of those post were from a few years ago so Im wanting to find out if the truetrac has had any improvements made. Otherwise I might be going with the Torsen T2 (not the R).
Old 06-10-2018, 01:21 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The clunk is usually bad preload in the pinion gear, or bad angle. Even open diffs
can make a clunking noise on deceleration and acceleration once while in motion.

Torsen T2R torque-bias differential:
High bias Torsen T2R torque-biasing differential is a full-time torque-biasing system,
not just a limited slip differential. The Torsen differential has a unique helical-gear design with
no clutch plates or preload springs.
That also said no clutches, and that's on the site that sells them.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/To...tial-P881.aspx

Torsen T-2 torque-bias differential:
The Torsen differential has a unique helical-gear design with no clutch plates or preload springs.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/To...ial-P1456.aspx

Both products say: " Torsen differentials have NO clutches or preload springs."

Just posting what they're selling...
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/To...tial-C157.aspx
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 AM
lazer

Thats a misprint on maximum motor sports site, here in the American muscle site they have the full and accurate description for the T2R, it does have a clutch pack.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...r500-diff.html

On the Trutrac many post saying that the clunk and other noises are coming from the spider gears not the ring and pinion (which I know usually comes from ring and pinion)
So I was hoping some here have experience using the Trutrac.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:37 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The FR500S is a limited slip (LSD), so yes, it will have a clutch. Anything that has LSD
will have a clutch in it.

Odd too, the links I found, the T2R one, doesn't mention LSD either. Really sucks when
retailers can't get their item descriptions right.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:05 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Not to hijack your post but you never said what kind of car and horsepower you have or what you use the car for i.e drag racing ?

Unless you have an unbelievable amount of horsepower those differentials are more than you will need, i know a guy that has a 4.6L pro-charged and still has the 8.8 Trac-Loc and never has had an issue.

Take that $700 or $800 or more if your going for the 31 splines, buy a set of cams and a tuner, maybe a ring and pinion 4:10's way more fun than a differential just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 PM
lazer

Thanks for input----Have 2001 cobra original 10k miles, have 3;73 gears, bama tune, JLT CAI, H&R Springs, Ebach rear bar, Tokico shocks, bump steer kit front and rear, rear poly bushing, alloy diff cover, BBK subframe connectors. No Drags, limited autocross and Track Days. Already went with the Truetrac 31 spline $525.--- Even 200HP cars or ones that have enough power to spin one wheel can benefit from these differentials. I never have liked Taction Loc.

Last edited by lazer; 06-30-2018 at 11:24 PM.