4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

"chirping" around rear of motor - end rail gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default "chirping" around rear of motor - end rail gaskets?

I've made a thread about this before. I just had a guy who knows mustangs look at it and he was kind of dumbfounded. He took the belt off to make sure it wasn't that, even though I told him it wasn't. Sure enough still happens. It really sounds like a bird is in my engine bay, chirping, with throttle increase. More throttle, faster the chirping. At highway speeds it's so fast it's more like a constant noise. It's gotten worse over the past couple of weeks.

Since it sounds like it is coming from behind the throttle body, slightly on the driver's side of the motor, my guess is a gasket leak from the intake system. When I start the car, it takes a second or two for the noise to start (system has to get pressured?) and makes the noise a second after I kill the engine and lets out a final chirp like it died lol. It's really weird and would be funny if I could figure out the source. I have the PP typhoon intake (cracked the stock one), and also the PP plenum and 75mm TB. I ordered a new TB and plenum gasket to try but I'm thinking it might be the manifold gasket. I got the typhoon and gaskets specifically for it from AM. Here is what I pulled from the AM description of the gaskets.

"The Professional Products Intake Manifold Gaskets are designed for use with the Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifold for the 1996-2004 4.6 2V Mustangs. Professional Products Intake Gaskets feature silicone beading around the intake ports and water ports for additional sealing. This gasket set does not include end rail gaskets, we suggest using RTV type gasket sealer."

What are end rail gaskets? I definitely did not use any RTV on the gaskets when I swapped the manifolds. I just lined up the new gaskets and torqued the thing down to spec. So if someone could explain what they are that would be helpful. Could a gasket leak make this chirping noise?

And, I dont need any flak for the typhoon manifold please. We were pressed for time so I just bought something cheap that would get to me fast.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

dudes. halp!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
mustangman281
Banned

End rail gaskets are on pushrod motors. They seal the front and rear of the lifter valley.

Does the chirping go away when you push in the clutch?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a TOB noise. Im having the same issue. I am selling some stuff to buy a new clutch/TOB... GAY
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
mustangman281
Banned

If you have a firewall adjuster and quadrant then you can set the proper preload of the TOB to stop the chirp. If the preload is not set correctly then it will always chirp no matter how many TOB you go through.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Nope, I do have a squeaky TOB, but this chirping noise completely drowns that out. It's really loud compared to that. And the clutch has no effect on the noise. Engaged/disengaged in gear/out of gear, doesn't matter. It only responds to throttle position and it doesn't seem to be exactly consistent with the throttle position so that makes me think it is vacuum/seal related. Like I can rev it once, get a response and rev it just the same and it chirps a little louder/quieter or faster slower. I really have no idea.

I tried to get a video of it but my engine drowns it out.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 PM
mustangman281
Banned

A chirping noise is not a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks sound like rushing air and you can only hear it while in vacuum. WOT or hard acceleration you will not hear it. Chirping if coming from the engine usually means bad.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

When it very first started, before I replaced the TB/plenum but about 4 months after the manifold, it would just make one little chirp every few minutes or so. It got progressively more frequent until it would just always do it. And since then it gets louder and louder each day it seems. Sounds like a have a really bad belt, but like I said, took the belt off and it still made the noise exactly the same and with throttle.

To describe a little more, it sits and chirps even when idling then gets louder/faster with throttle. Sometimes it will quiet down then let out a big chirp and continue going. Ugh.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Check you oil for metal. Sounds like it could be a cam tower got some metal in it.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Ok will do, what about bad camshaft position sensor or synchronizer?

Quick Reply: "chirping" around rear of motor - end rail gaskets?