4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing 3.73 gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:58 PM
Flash gt

Default Installing 3.73 gears

How hard is it and what are the cost to switch to 3.73 gears? Can I just change the ring and pinion gears or install the whole carrier? Right now I am assuming my car has 3.27 gears.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Never done one myself and it's not something I would. Special tools and if you do it wrong, you'll get whinning. I'd rather pay a shop to do it. If they screw up, they have to fix it. The quote I got for labor to install a kit I was going to buy from American Muscle that included fresh bearings, seals, and oil was about $500 from a drive line shop that worked on performance and bracket cars. Probably about $50-75 more than the average shop.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Not terribly hard... with the right tools. You will need access to a shop press in order to swap the bearings over to the new pinion, and a beam-style lb-in torque wrench to set the pinion bearing preload. Cost depends on how much you can do yourself, and how far you want to go while it's all open. Besides the gears themselves, you're already looking at a gasket/gasket-maker to put it back together, and new gear oil (+friction modifier). Unless it has low miles, this would be a great time to install new bearings & seals too. You may also want to consider putting fresh clutch-packs in the carrier. Your call.

The ring & pinion gears can be changed without replacing any other hard parts. You'll just have to be very careful removing the inner bearing from the old pinion gear. And if you are asking about reusing the old carrier, the answer is yes. The ring gear bolts right to it.

May I ask why you're interested in 3.73 gears if you're not sure what ratio you already have?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

If it were me, I would use a live-axle that already has the gearing, because putting a ring and pinion in
is more work.

There is no carrier with live axle, that is a designation for IRS...
Old 09-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Technically correct (the best kind of correct! ). According to Ford's officially preferred terminology here, the ring gear bolts to the "differential case". Not to be confused with the exterior casing, known as the "axle housing". (BTW Ford doesn't call the overall assembly a "live axle". This axle type is referred to as an "integral carrier".) And there are actually three pinion gears- the "differential pinion" gears inside the differential case, and the "drive pinion" that connects to the driveshaft via the pinion flange "rear axle universal joint flange".

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 09-25-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:29 PM
Flash gt

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Not terribly hard... with the right tools. You will need access to a shop press in order to swap the bearings over to the new pinion, and a beam-style lb-in torque wrench to set the pinion bearing preload. Cost depends on how much you can do yourself, and how far you want to go while it's all open. Besides the gears themselves, you're already looking at a gasket/gasket-maker to put it back together, and new gear oil (+friction modifier). Unless it has low miles, this would be a great time to install new bearings & seals too. You may also want to consider putting fresh clutch-packs in the carrier. Your call.

The ring & pinion gears can be changed without replacing any other hard parts. You'll just have to be very careful removing the inner bearing from the old pinion gear. And if you are asking about reusing the old carrier, the answer is yes. The ring gear bolts right to it.

May I ask why you're interested in 3.73 gears if you're not sure what ratio you already have?
I noticed a couple of spots on my driveway under the chunk. The tag on the differential cover says it has 3.27 gears so I am guessing it has never been broken into. Was just thinking if I change the pinion seal while I was under the car I would check on how much trouble it would be to go all the way and change gears. The car is like a every other daily driver so 3.73 would be the biggest I would want to go.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:24 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

That's less than a half rotation of the driveshaft difference at +.46 rotation. You will
notice the RPMs are higher at 70, which should be around 2100/2200, that's where my '08
is at 70.

I went from a 2.87 to 3.64 in my Charger, that was a huge difference... I was at 3700 RPM
at cruising...

Don't forget the Tuner, to change the gear ratio.

Out in the Net:
For manual transmission, the 3.73 gear set is the go to set. Depending on what you’re after, a 3.55
set can also do the job for street/daily Mustangs. Automatic Mustangs; 4.10s, because they typically
have lower gears, and with the converter, you need a little more differential gear to get up and running.
The 4.10 makes up for the lower first gear of the transmission, and the slip of the converter.

The 3.73 for a 5/6 speed manual offers great performance around town and off the line.

Forced induction, maybe run between a 3.08 and a 3.27, you have enough engine power from the
start.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Flash gt

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
That's less than a half rotation of the driveshaft difference at +.46 rotation. You will
notice the RPMs are higher at 70, which should be around 2100/2200, that's where my '08
is at 70.

I went from a 2.87 to 3.64 in my Charger, that was a huge difference... I was at 3700 RPM
at cruising...

Don't forget the Tuner, to change the gear ratio.

Out in the Net:
For manual transmission, the 3.73 gear set is the go to set. Depending on what you’re after, a 3.55
set can also do the job for street/daily Mustangs. Automatic Mustangs; 4.10s, because they typically
have lower gears, and with the converter, you need a little more differential gear to get up and running.
The 4.10 makes up for the lower first gear of the transmission, and the slip of the converter.

The 3.73 for a 5/6 speed manual offers great performance around town and off the line.

Forced induction, maybe run between a 3.08 and a 3.27, you have enough engine power from the
start.
l have a manual, would not have it any other way. Would I have to get a tune to go from 3.27 to 3.73 ?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:19 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Flash gt
l have a manual, would not have it any other way. Would I have to get a tune to go from 3.27 to 3.73 ?
You need a tuner just to change the gear ratio, but you do not have to install a tune.
You can modify the stock tune, and not write a canned tune from the tuner. You can
get the InTunes for as low as $100, not married. There are some available on FaceBook,
there was an SCT x4, with one unlock left for $120. I got my InTune1000 from Facebook
Marketplace for $100 shipped.

SO, you modify the stock tune by changing the gear ratio, then write it. So, you may as well
install a performance tune. I get better MPG with the 93 Octane Tune, but the fuel isn't
cheap. Still the same as buying goof octane boost + 87 gas, so, I run 91 to 93 depending
on how many miles I a, going to run it that day.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:03 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

Take it to a reputable transmission shop. Don't attempt to do this yourself if you have never done it before!!!

Quick Reply: Installing 3.73 gears