4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LOOSE CAME FOLLOWER! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Jacob Stewart

Default LOOSE CAME FOLLOWER! Please help!

Well, i’ve been having tapping problems with my car after PI head swap. Replaced the timing chain tensioners and guides, tapping still persists. Clean oil gallery’s, and pull the lash adjusters out, bleed them down, replaced bad ones, and the time was mearly gone. It was very quiet, and intermittent. I quit messi g with it for that evening. Came back to it a couple days later, started it up to move it into the garage, and it was as quiet as a mouse. No noise, no tapping, no chatter, nothing! Car sounded great. So, i then decided to drive it to see if i could get the noise to reappear. I drove it very easy, shifting at 2k, and not a lot of throttle and it was still quiet. It would come and go, then i gave it a little more gas and it pulled like a banshee and the noise seemed to be gone. Well as i was getting back to the garage, the tapping came back, and was as loud as before, and the car died. I pulled the valve cover, and the video shows what i found. Stuck valve? Bent valve? Valve guide? I’m at a loss and have no idea what to do. And for what it’s worth, when the car tuens over, it doesn’t sound like any clacking or knocking. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:49 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You should not have a CAME follower... I know that they have CAM followers, so
if you have a CAME follower, well, then you have a serious issue...

Anyhow, as far as shimmy movement, there is when the cam lobe is at base circle, just not THAT much.
That could mean the cam follower/roller in the arm is bad.

You also say there should be a space between the first coil of a spring?
The one you are saying there is no space, is compressed, and the one
you say there is no space, is not, so that's not a VALID comparison.
Compare two that are compressed, not one that's not, and one that is.

Look at this video, a ford Triton motor, you will see ALL the springs under compression
do not have a space between the first and second wind:
This also shows how to remove the bad roller/follower without taking the cam out.
It also shows side to side movement when the cam is at base circle, just not as
much as yours. Then it shows the looseness like yours once it's ready for removal.

The cam follower is in the rocker arm, that could be loose:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Jacob Stewart

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
You should not have a CAME follower... I know that they have CAM followers, so
if you have a CAME follower, well, then you have a serious issue...

Anyhow, as far as shimmy movement, there is when the cam lobe is at base circle, just not THAT much.
That could mean the cam follower/roller in the arm is bad.

You also say there should be a space between the first coil of a spring?
The one you are saying there is no space, is compressed, and the one
you say there is no space, is not, so that's not a VALID comparison.
Compare two that are compressed, not one that's not, and one that is.

Look at this video, a ford Triton motor, you will see ALL the springs under compression
do not have a space between the first and second wind:
https://youtu.be/jdAUeVRBNA8
This also shows how to remove the bad roller/follower without taking the cam out.
It also shows side to side movement when the cam is at base circle, just not as
much as yours. Then it shows the looseness like yours once it's ready for removal.

The cam follower is in the rocker arm, that could be loose:
https://youtu.be/XA99EpueaRM
Firstly, thank you for your reply, even though you didn’t appreciate my stupid mistake! I know its a Cam follower, noe “came” , stupid mistake lol But with that being said:
The reason i state in the video that there should be space between the coil is because there is no pressure on the valve. The camshaft is exerting no pressure onto the valve, and there for the spring should be fully decompressed like the other one.. right? Also, I just replaced all lash adjusters on that side of the engine, because i had a tapping sound. While i had the followers out, I inspected them for ppay, like in the second video you quoted, and all of the followers checked out. When i replaced lash adjusters, i beel each new one down, and soaked them in oil for a couple hours. Installed them, as well as followers, and let motor run. It sounded a lot better, but still had a slight chatter to it. I let it sit for about 3 days, went out to
mess with it, and when I started it to move it the noise was gone? I jdo not understand. The reson I believe it is a valve is sticking is because the camshaft is exerting no pressure, but the spring appears to be compressed. I could be wrong though. Again I appreciate you replying, and i am missing something, please call me out. I hope i’m wrong
Old 11-19-2018, 05:30 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

if you think you have a bent or sticking valve check compression in that cyl and you will know
Old 11-19-2018, 05:44 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You can simply have a collapsed valve spring. The only other thing is it could
be hung up in the guide. It could be bent, and hung up...

Still, that one rocker/roller is too loose with the cam lobe at base circle.
You may need to replace that one.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Jacob Stewart

Yeah, i’ll check out the spring and see if its snapped. I don’t think it is, they’ve comp beehive springs and not very old. It just p*sses me off because i paid over $800 for the marchine shop to get the heads in working order. They said the guides were fine. The ONLY two things i can think of is A: Guide is messed up and got warm and valve stuck or B: The valve could potentially be stuck. I didn’t have a compression tester, so i took spark plug out and laid shop towl over spark plug well. Turned car over and it has compression, not as much as it should, but still has some. Do you guys think that valve could be open just a smige, to where its not sealing but not hitting piston? When motor is turned over I cannot hear any clacking or anything that would directly point PTV
Old 11-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Jacob Stewart

Car still won’t fire up. Pops through exhaust every couple tries
Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Popping through the exhaust, cold, an exhaust valve is open during ignition.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Jacob Stewart

here’s the video of turning it over see if you have an idea