4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Weird stutter problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 PM
casual man mann

Default Weird stutter problem

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I just picked up a 96 gt 5 speed with a serious stutter under load at low rpm. Swapped the coils, wires, and plugs and it basically went away. Now all that's left is one or two small stutters randomly during acceleration. My cold starts are also choppy as hell. I replaced the fuel filter and pressure regulator yesterday with no change and the my only codes are transmission codes that are for an automatic?? P0750 P0755 P0720 P0807
I took videos of the cold start and stutter. Watch it stutter in third gear and medium load.
Thanks in advance for any advice fellas I'm really stuck on this one.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 AM
casual man mann

Nobody? Any direction at all would be awesome. Or someone to brainstorm with I'm really at a loss here guys.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

This could be a clue or it maybe be totally unrelated, but I'm watching your temp gauge climb in that second video there... Does it ever get to the point where it's overheating?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:46 PM
casual man mann

Actually, yes. Just last night I let it sit at autozone for 10 minutes and drove across the street to a drive thru and it pissed some fluid out.
I never did a coolant flush as I've been distracted by other problems.
What are you thinking?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Well it's too early to say something like head gasket... I'm trying not to jump to conclusions. There are a lot of things that could cause that stutter, but only a handful of things that can cause a overheat condition. Which is why I would consider checking out the cooling system first, just in case the stutter and the tendency to overheat are related.

Not sure why you're getting auto transmission codes w/ a 5-speed. Was this car originally equipped with an automatic?​​​​​​

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 01-19-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 PM
casual man mann

The oil cap looks good.
I just checked the door tag and it's a factory manual. I'm also throwing a damn torque conver code.
I need to do a coolant flush tomorrow
Old 01-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sounds like someone did a PCM swap from a donor car that was an auto to try and fix something and didn't bother to reflash it for a manual. Thus the codes. That could also affect your a/f map and possibly your timing since the car would be looking for information from the Transmission Range Sensor to adjust timing, fuel and idle.

What's the history of the car? How did you find it, what type of information do you have from the previous owner on what work they did or problems they had?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM
casual man mann

Yup, you're right man. Just got it back from Firestone and it's a pcm from a Lincoln Town car So my question now is, can I just throw a t45 pcm in it and go? Or does it need to be flashed by ford?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 PM
casual man mann

The PO doesn't have much useful info. He says he replaced the fuel pump but that's it.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

From a Lincoln town car? Wow, yeah, that will cause some problems.. There are different calibration codes so you can either check the door jamb or under the hood for that code or you'll need to take your VIN number to your dealer and find out which one is correct for your car:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896

Then, you can either go to Rock Auto and buy one that matches (and be done) or go to ebay or a junkyard to see if you can find one from a T45 mustang that has the same code.

Quick Reply: Weird stutter problem