MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Battery Draining (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/737470-battery-draining.html)

MikeAlbarella 05-04-2019 09:43 AM

Battery Draining

Hi People,

I need some advice. I have a 2001 Mustang GT 8 cylinder manual Tranny, There is an aftermarket stereo in the car, I bought an original Stereo and want to have it installed in place of the aftermarket one.

This is the issue, if I let the car sit for four days it will not start without a jump. I am wondering if there may be something wrong with the radio connection which is draining the battery. Sometimes when I start the car, the radio does not go on, if I shut the car off and start it up again it works. Any ideas where to look for the problem?

Thanks
Mike

imp 05-04-2019 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by MikeAlbarella (Post 8651292)
Hi People,

I need some advice. I have a 2001 Mustang GT 8 cylinder manual Tranny, There is an aftermarket stereo in the car, I bought an original Stereo and want to have it installed in place of the aftermarket one.

This is the issue, if I let the car sit for four days it will not start without a jump. I am wondering if there may be something wrong with the radio connection which is draining the battery. Sometimes when I start the car, the radio does not go on, if I shut the car off and start it up again it works. Any ideas where to look for the problem?

Thanks
Mike

Determine which fuse is feeding power to the stereo and remove it. If the battery then remains charged, there is something haywire with the stereo wiring; maybe it's internals are not shutting off.

More sophisticated testing using ammeters, etc., is possible,and for that matter, the stereo may NOT be the cause, but it's a start.

fastbackford351 05-06-2019 06:46 PM

With an aftermarket radio and inconsistent symptoms like what you're having, my kneejerk internet diagnosis is jinky wiring.

tadpole1969 05-11-2019 12:12 PM

had the issue once ,found out it was the factory amps in the trunk drawing the power after car was off

MikeAlbarella 05-23-2019 10:43 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, Here is the update. I brought the car in to car toys and they diagnosed that the draw was up to the PCM instrument cluster. I then brought the car into the Ford Dealership and they also said it was the PCM Cluster. My question is this. Is there any other tests that can be done to rule out the PCM cluster? The cluster costs about $900.00 and from what I have been reading, the cluster controls many other electronics that may be drawing the current when the car is off. Is there a way to test the other electronics to isolate the PCM cluster before I have to pay to get it replaced?

fastbackford351 05-25-2019 05:34 AM

I'd damn sure be hitting up the bone yards or Ebay for a replacement before I paid 900.00