MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   PLEASE GOD SOMEONE HELP (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/737868-please-god-someone-help.html)

NurseGuy1987 07-05-2019 05:03 AM

PLEASE GOD SOMEONE HELP

Okay....... this is gunna be a long one.

I went to pick up my car yesterday (1997 Mustang GT). It has 3.73 gears which have never given me an issue. It has a "short shift" shifter which has never been problematic. My bearing retainer was broken and chirping which led to my throw out bearing going bad. I had a new clutch installed, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing retainer tube (the stock one had broken at the bell housing.....it's the kind that is pressed in from inside the bell housing. Anyway....... when I picked her up, I immediately noted that there was a very loud whirring/spooling sound coming from the area of the clutch (sounded like a spaceship) and a "knock/rattle" from the area of the transmission (almost like when you are teaching someone to drive a manual and they try to start off in too high of a gear). The "knocking/rattling" noise was off and on, and very noticeable when just barely moving like when you are in first gear and release the clutch to get moving. There was no vibration in the pedal or shifter. I also noted that the clutch pedal was super soft. I made it about a block before i decided to turn around and take it back to the shop. The noises got louder as the rpm's and speed increased. The mechanic drove it and said that he heard a "chirp" which he said was the new pilot bearing needing to be broken in and that he also heard something "odd" from the transmission. He said that "maybe" it needs to reseat itself or "maybe" something inside the transmission "shifted".

I know that he sent the transmission to a "transmission guy" to have the TOB retainer (quill tube) replaced and I know that in order to do this, the bell housing had to be opened up. It took about a week for this to take place since the part was difficult to source. So, the mechanic says "drive it this weekend and see what happens.....worst case, even if you mess it up, the transmission work is under warranty". He literally had no clue what these noises were. So, me being dumb to the world of mechanics..... I got in my car to leave and follow his advice. Low and behold the after backing up his driveway, I couldn't get it out of reverse! I'm not sure what to do now.....should I take it to another shop and tell him to get screwed or should I let him keep my car for another 2 weeks to "fix" it. I am physically sick to my stomach over this ****. I had to take a Zoloft to calm my nerves (prescribed).

Now I turn to you guys/gals. Did this shop royally frig up my car or is it normal to have such odd sounds after a clutch job????? I don't know what to do next or where to turn. Thankfully I do have access to another vehicle for transportation but dammit I want my mustang back! I'm almost to the point of saying "to hell with it....I'm selling it". But..... who in their right mind is going to buy a mustang gt with a potential transmission issue??? NO ONE! I wish I could upload a video but the car is locked up at the shop and the guy is out for the 4th of July holiday. WHAT WOULD YOU DO!?????

Coosawjack 07-05-2019 03:12 PM

Where are you in Georgia??:confused:

dawson1112 07-05-2019 07:16 PM

The most likely scenario is that the guy who did the transmission knows how to change the front bearing retainer. However he doesnt understand bearing preload or input shaft end play. There are some shims behind a large washer inside of that tube, those shims need to be adjusted anytime you change the input shaft bearing or input shaft bearing retainer, they adjust the depth of the bearing cup. If they didnt adjust for end play and bearing preload then there is a good possiblility that the input shaft is sloppy and also the main shaft of the transmission is also sloppy, thats why it got stuck in reverse. If you were to get out and have a few people rock the car back and forth while you fidget with the shifter you could probly pop it out.

dawson1112 07-05-2019 07:28 PM

If it was me I would put it up on stands drop the trans and check the end play on the input shaft. It should have about .010" in/out play in it. The way the transmission is designed, the input bearing supports the main shaft If it gets to much play the main shaft inside can move side to side or up and down and lock the gears up. All is not lost my friend, these t45 transmissions are pretty easy to work on, Ive bought more than a few of them that needed rebuilt or repaired because of the same problems.

NurseGuy1987 07-06-2019 11:19 AM

I am in Southeastern GA. And isn't this something a transmission guy should be aware of already?? How can it be fixed and what can I do to ensure he does it correctly. I have NO clue about transmission work. Only tgat it was fine when he got it and now it's not.

dawson1112 07-06-2019 12:22 PM

There are alot of so called "Transmission guys " out there. But find out who the other guy sent the transmission to for repair, go directly to the shop that replaced the bearing retainer. If they are a reputable shop they will or should fix their mistake.

NurseGuy1987 07-06-2019 12:50 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/mustang...4801ce7955.jpg
I just want my baby back. I'm almost to the point that I don't know if this guy should touch it again if he didn't know something as logical as what you said about the shim. There's another shop in town but they are hellaciously expensive. They do good work though.

NurseGuy1987 07-08-2019 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8654054)
The most likely scenario is that the guy who did the transmission knows how to change the front bearing retainer. However he doesnt understand bearing preload or input shaft end play. There are some shims behind a large washer inside of that tube, those shims need to be adjusted anytime you change the input shaft bearing or input shaft bearing retainer, they adjust the depth of the bearing cup. If they didnt adjust for end play and bearing preload then there is a good possiblility that the input shaft is sloppy and also the main shaft of the transmission is also sloppy, thats why it got stuck in reverse. If you were to get out and have a few people rock the car back and forth while you fidget with the shifter you could probly pop it out.

Should this be something that he can fix or do I need to find someone else??

dawson1112 07-08-2019 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by NurseGuy1987 (Post 8654111)
Should this be something that he can fix or do I need to find someone else??

Who ever the guy outsourced the trans job to should warranty his work. You need to find out who did it and deal with them. Im sure you got an invoice for the work performed correct? Ultimatly the person you paid for the work should make it right, he is the one who outsourced the job so he should contact his transmission guy and tell them what is going on with his customers transmission.

NurseGuy1987 07-08-2019 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dawson1112 (Post 8654122)
Who ever the guy outsourced the trans job to should warranty his work. You need to find out who did it and deal with them. I'm sure you got an invoice for the work performed correct? Ultimately the person you paid for the work should make it right, he is the one who outsourced the job so he should contact his transmission guy and tell them what is going on with his customers transmission.

It is back on the rack now. I'm wasn't able to stop on my way to work to do a progress check and he wasn't able to answer my call (he stays busy). I'm not going to accept it back from him until it's right. I guess I could go to the transmission guys shop and ask him if he adjusted load / preload or if he has it shimmed correctly. I was told you want it as close to 0.0 as possible? Is this accurate? I just don't want to offend them or piss them off since they are ultimately the hands fixing my ride. Kind of like "don't bite the hand that feeds you". Ugghhhhh...... all of this just for a new clutch. I didn't realize how much I love this car until now.....