4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Horsepower and Torque Gain

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 PM
MustangGT03
2nd Gear Member

Default Horsepower and Torque Gain

Hi, I was just wondering how much horsepower and torque gain I would get if I got LT headers and H pipe with no CATs and catbacks on my 03 GT. But I would have to keep everything I took off and reinstall it in 07 for my E-Check. So would it be worth it for the horsepower and torque gain.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Horsepower and Torque Gain

that should help you out quite a bit, but why dont you try and balance out the inhaling (intake) with the exhale(exhaust) your engine is going to be working really hard to suck in air but then not working at all to push it out. as far as inspections go, you should be able to go to a rural area outside the city, bc alot of those places do not require emmisions testing, just safety
Old 11-01-2005, 10:58 PM
MustangGT03
2nd Gear Member

O.K Tell me what I should do first, I want more power, but I don't want that rotten eye smell anymore when I punch it. And for going to a rural area outside the city here you need an address to use for your plates.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:15 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

4.10's won't give you any hp or torque but it will sure use what hp you have better.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Your exhaust is far more restriction than your stock intake setup, so the correct place to start would be your exhaust.

Do a full exhaust if you can, if emissions & your budget allow to do so.

You can do a long tube header setup (best hp/tq gains) but they are pricey and expensive to install, typically anywhere from $350-800 for the install. Requires unbolting the motor, jacking it up and in some cases dropping the k-member. They also require a shorter mid-pipe than stock, they are also rather pricey and a catted short mid-pipe is way overpriced. But again, you'll see the best gains with this setup over a midlength or a shorty setup, but all setups are much better than stock, whichever fits your budget...

Old 11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tcuallstar

that should help you out quite a bit, but why dont you try and balance out the inhaling (intake) with the exhale(exhaust) your engine is going to be working really hard to suck in air but then not working at all to push it out. as far as inspections go, you should be able to go to a rural area outside the city, bc alot of those places do not require emmisions testing, just safety

theoretically you would want to finish the exhaust first so the engine would have an easy time "exhaling" the air it already gets, but if you get a new intake system first, then the stock exhaust is trying to "exhale" more air that the intake gets so its working even harder.

all in all it realy doesnt matter which order you do these in, especialy if you are planning to get both anyways.

just my $0.02
Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

start with the catback, then work your way up. no need to do it all at once.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:15 AM
andy98gt
3rd Gear Member

DUDE get your own Picture, this one is already taken !!!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

i believe slp makes a mid pipe with removable cats that can be replaced with pre cut and bent steel tubing that just bolt on and off, so thats an idea for your emmisions. i think its only in X though
Old 11-02-2005, 03:12 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

yeah i would do a catback swap first like nanaki said.. but its really hard to say about the midpipe because of you wanting long tube headers.. so your stuck with that crappy stock midpipe no matter what until you get the rest installed.. i was going to say just get the catback and get it in then get a demolet intake and a plenum and tb.. either way you go its alot of money so its just up to you..

Quick Reply: Horsepower and Torque Gain