4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question about Ford Theft Alarm

Old 11-04-2005, 12:26 AM
zerosgt

Default Question about Ford Theft Alarm

About a week ago I was polishing up my stangs interior and I had the door open and the keys in the ingnition in the off position when the Ford factory anti-theft measures went into full effect. I had to disconnect the neg batt terminal to get the alarm to stop going off and leave it off for like 20 min before I could restart the car. Is this common? What else will trigger the theft system so I won't do it again? Would that be the cause of my Cam Positioning Sensor going out?

It's a 98 GT.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 12:28 AM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about Ford Theft Alarm

sounds like you have some electrical ghosts maybe?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:32 AM
zerosgt

The guy at the shop I took it to (that specializes in 64.5-70 stangs) said it could be that's how you trigger it. But they don't deal with the newer electronic stangs. I've chased Ghosts in electrical equitment a lot and wow, that's a pain in the ***. I really hope that's not the case.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:09 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Definitely a ghost in the electrical... or a malfunctioning keyless entry.

The anti-theft system does not activate the horn and lights and all that stuff that happens when you press the panic button.

Ford put PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) in Mustangs after a certain year, I forget which. Which is why you need a key with a chip in it that has a code. You can't just cut a new key, if you do, the starter will crank the motor but it won't spark. No spark = no start. You can look up all the details on PATS through Google. Essentially this system does not activate any kind of alarm, if a key that does not have a proper code burned to it is put in to the ignition, the car will not start... simple as that.

I wouldn't worry about it for now, but if it happens again you may want to take it to Ford because you'll have a hard time tracking that problem down.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:25 AM
zerosgt

Thanks for the comment shadow.

Here's what I know, the passanger side door lock has been severly tampered with. The car could have been stolen at one point, but it doesn't show up on the CarFax. However, this has left the lock inoperable.

If you get a chance you can check it out on cardomain.

zeros GT
Old 11-04-2005, 01:05 PM
03twistedstang
1st Gear Member

Dude, I have an 03 and I have a dealer installed Ford alarm and it does the weirdest things. If I leave my cell phone in the car and somebody calls my phone it will set the alarm off. Weird huh? Another thing I dont like about it is if the car is shut off and you lock the doors while inside, like for instance its happened while I was at Sonic, and then start the car the alarm goes off and the car wont start. LOL. But mine has never completely shut the car down to were I had to disconnect battery, usually just unlock doors and it'll stop.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:50 AM
zerosgt

I think that's why I did, I know I locked and unlocked the doors while I was cleaning the inside, I may have left them locked. Go figure. That's cool that I got some help from a ranger on this one though. I'm just a commo.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:56 AM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Would that be the cause of my Cam Positioning Sensor going out?
Ummm getting old. I replaced my brothers on his 98 v6. It made a really loud knocking sound. It sounded exactly like a hitting pulley. I've never heard it make that sound before and most people said that it doesnt even make noise but whatever.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:27 AM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

If i understand this, Could it be that if ur in the car you unlock the doors to drive somewere u park, lock them agian, and someones trys to open them from the inside it would set if off.Makes sense to me, so if somwere were like waiting in your car somehow and u didnt notice and u left ;locked it and they tried to open the door to leave the alarm would go off to let you know??!!?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:27 AM
zerosgt

Did it make the noise on start up, or all the time?

My check engine light spontaneously went off today. I think I'm going to hold on for a day or so and see how she makes it through the weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Ford Theft Alarm