4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Auto vs. 5 Speed (race)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 09:53 PM
garygreen211
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Auto vs. 5 Speed (race)

Though, what you really need to be worried about is if that ******* has nitrous. Look for buffle bags with dirty underwear in the trunk. If he has nitrous he will be lauching and you will be crying.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:53 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: garygreen211

You have to realize something, an auto has 3 speeds, your manual has 4 speeds, overdrive is not counted. A shift kit will bump up the line pressure, a chip will adjust shift points, but he is still limited to the stock launch RPM, if he goes above that RPM he will spin. You can expect him to shift at red line consistently and have very fast positive shifts. But you have the advantage, your power is hooked directly to the wheels and so you deliver more, and you have 1 more gear. You should rev to around 3000 RPM and dump clutch but keep RPM steady, the nose will go up and then down, when it goes down apply full power, shift into 2nd just before rev limiter, power shift into 3rd, and 4th. Use traction control for the launch, turn it off before shifting into 2nd.

Auto drivers usually talk trash. They are cocky because they have power readily available off the light, you on the other hand have to anticipate the light. This all changes under race conditions, you both will anticipate the start. Do not count the start from the car, this never works. Use a traffic light or a flagger on the road.

Gary
YOUR POST SUCKS!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:13 PM
garygreen211
I ♥ Acer

Ok. He sits on a brake, and revs, he is limited with that. Launch too high and you will spin those tires. I don't know about you all but I always launch at 3k for the drag races, I run street tires though. When the nose comes down that means you are not spinning anymore and you can apply all power. During traffic situations an auto has advantage, at a traffic light situation for example, you have to apply clutch, shift into 1st, rev engine, release clutch and wait for it to hook up then apply power. An auto dude has to move his right foot off the brake and press gas.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:04 AM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Do you know if he has a stall on his car? He probably dosen't but if he does the race may not be as close as you think.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

ORIGINAL: garygreen211

You have to realize something, an auto has 3 speeds, your manual has 4 speeds, overdrive is not counted. A shift kit will bump up the line pressure, a chip will adjust shift points, but he is still limited to the stock launch RPM, if he goes above that RPM he will spin. You can expect him to shift at red line consistently and have very fast positive shifts. But you have the advantage, your power is hooked directly to the wheels and so you deliver more, and you have 1 more gear. You should rev to around 3000 RPM and dump clutch but keep RPM steady, the nose will go up and then down, when it goes down apply full power, shift into 2nd just before rev limiter, power shift into 3rd, and 4th. Use traction control for the launch, turn it off before shifting into 2nd.

Auto drivers usually talk trash. They are cocky because they have power readily available off the light, you on the other hand have to anticipate the light. This all changes under race conditions, you both will anticipate the start. Do not count the start from the car, this never works. Use a traffic light or a flagger on the road.

Gary
YOUR POST SUCKS!
fist off your launch rpm souly depends on yout traction in other words if you have good sticky tires you may be able to launch at 3000 rpm but you may have to launch at a lower rpm or maybe even higher.

second NEVER EVER WHAT EVER YOU DO NOT LEAVE THE TRACTION CONTROL ON DURING A RACE.

third What the hell are you talking about
power readily available off the light, you on the other hand have to anticipate the light
i agree with redass.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: black01gt

If i were u ask him to race on a roll on the street or soemthing. But if u go from a stop when u shift power shift it.
Except for the fact that the Tremec doesn't like to be power shifted. He'll either break off cogs in the tranny or hit a wall and not be able to shift. Now, with beefier syncronizers, and possibly a short throw shifter, he could shift quicker than with a stock tranny and shifter. I still give the odds to the automatic given the scenario presented.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
rwilluweit

Last edited by rwilluweit; 03-15-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

shifting the auto like a manual, in other words, starting in '1', then shifting it to '2' then finally to 'D' You decide when to shift the auto tranny.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

shifting the auto like a manual, in other words, starting in '1', then shifting it to '2' then finally to 'D' You decide when to shift the auto tranny.
that is not powershifting.

powershifting is either shifting without the clutch or shifting without removing your foot from the gas.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:22 PM
rwilluweit

Last edited by rwilluweit; 03-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto vs. 5 Speed (race)