4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which Exhaust Set-Up Is Best For 04 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:38 AM
mustang_marine8762
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Exhaust Set-Up Is Best For 04 GT?

I am from Illinois and we have those damn emmisions tests. That's why I chose to go with the x-pipe w/ cats. It seems everyone is going for w/o cats? Do the cat's make the sound quieter or what? Can I still pass the emmisions test if I got the w/o cats setup??
Old 11-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_marine8762

I am from Illinois and we have those damn emmisions tests. That's why I chose to go with the x-pipe w/ cats. It seems everyone is going for w/o cats? Do the cat's make the sound quieter or what? Can I still pass the emmisions test if I got the w/o cats setup??
An O/R Midpipe would open up the sound a lot more, catted = quiet. If you want it loud, go for an O/R pipe. Im from IL too, Chicago! And I have LT's with an O/R Midpipe. They test using ODBII, so as long as your not tripping any codes, you will be fine, they just plug in, run it and your done. Or you can keep your catted mid and just swap it back in when its time for emissions, might be easier that way. Plus, O/R Mids are cheap, so you can pick one up for under or just over $100 and use it to have fun with.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 PM
mustang_marine8762
2nd Gear Member

So if I were to keep the stock mid-pipe, would it still fit with LT headers? If I can get by with the emmisions and an O/R pipe, then that's cool with me. What part of Chicago??
Old 11-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

So if I were to keep the stock mid-pipe, would it still fit with LT headers? If I can get by with the emmisions and an O/R pipe, then that's cool with me. What part of Chicago??
Hey, no the stock mid pipe wouldn't match up to LT's, you need a shorty mid pipe. They sell shorty mid pipes that are catted as well, but if your not throwing a Check Engine Light, you should pass the test. I am from the North side of Chicago, near Norridge and Skokie. I am at school now in Champaign-Urbana.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blinkstang

An O/R Midpipe would open up the sound a lot more, catted = quiet. If you want it loud, go for an O/R pipe. Im from IL too, Chicago! And I have LT's with an O/R Midpipe. They test using ODBII, so as long as your not tripping any codes, you will be fine, they just plug in, run it and your done. Or you can keep your catted mid and just swap it back in when its time for emissions, might be easier that way. Plus, O/R Mids are cheap, so you can pick one up for under or just over $100 and use it to have fun with.
not necessarily, the hight flow cats these days are very high flowing and you can barely tell performance wize, but they dont quiet down the exhaust that much. it is true though that they are a little more expensive.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

First of all your gonna have to ditch your entire stock system. It cant breath and its incredibly heavy. Sound is pretty much the key to exhaust anymore. I've said it a million times..I CANT STAND THE SOUND OF A O/R PIPE. It's been said also due to lack of back pressure you loose some torque. But..ALOT of people like O/R pipes! If your gonna do headers then longtubes are the only way to go. I believe that headers are the worst bang for the buck so unless your SC or Turboed or just have every other bolt on imaginable to man its a waste of money. I would let the headers be the very last thing on your list of modds to do. The borla stingers cat back is a great choice and I would go as far as to say the most common choice among us enthusiast. Not a bad price with a good tone and good breathing. Flowmasters would be most peoples last choice. I recomend the prochamber or Bassani x with 2 high flow cats with the Borla cat back stingers. Keep i mind that this question isnt gonna get you facts but opinions so hang out with some Mustang owners and see what sound appeals to you-Shane
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I love my stuff from steeda, m/l headers, h-pipe with hi-flo cats and borla exhaust :-p sounds AWESOME virtually no drone at all in the 2,000 -2,300 range (or any other for that matter)
Old 11-13-2005, 12:39 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well acording to a test done in one of my magazines, a magnaflow gives the best hp gains. Not by much only about 3 over the competition, dr gas came in second, and bassini came in next, can't remember after that, and I can't find the magazine with the dynos in it. JBA, or Steeda headers will probably be your best bet.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Tap

Default White 04 GT ?

What part number Magnaflows did you have installed? Is there much drone when cruising in the city between 1600 - 2000 RPM's?

I have thought about replacing with just a set of Magnaflows or Dynomax Super Turbo's. Just not sure about the drone isssue some people have.

Thanks, James
Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: White 04 GT ?

What part number Magnaflows did you have installed? Is there much drone when cruising in the city between 1600 - 2000 RPM's?

I have thought about replacing with just a set of Magnaflows or Dynomax Super Turbo's. Just not sure about the drone isssue some people have.

Thanks, James
Im not sure about dynomax because I don't know much about their products, but I can tell you from experience and from what I have heard from others, "flows" drone a lot. I have only muffler replacement magnaflows on my car now, Im changing the full exhaust soon, but my flows definitely drone in the lower rpm's in 2nd and especially 4th gears. However, once you get into 4 and 5 gears it turns into basically stock.. along with idle, its also basically stock.

So you asked about driving around the city... It probably drones a lot more with a full catback or if you have any other mods such as a X or Y or something because mine drones and I only have muffler replacements. Its not THAT bad, I mean you get used to it, but especially in 2nd and 3rd gear when you start to get into the gear you hear a good piercing drone from within the car.. My friends have told me its even worse when your in the back seat. But my friends are going to die and probably not want to ride with me anymore when I change my full exhaust to LT's, X, and LM1's.. Heh, but it won't drone like the flows. It will be ridiculously loud, which I can handle, but I hate the drone.

So when all said and done, if your just going with the catback, I don't think it will be that bad. Much better than flowmaster-bad.
Anyway Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust Set-Up Is Best For 04 GT?