4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stock to Full Exhaust Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stock to Full Exhaust Suggestions

ORIGINAL: meebix

Yea I kinda like the raspy sound of the loudmouths too... It is the first exhaust system that gives the car a real racing tone to it. The break away rip in the lower RPM's in unmatchable from what Ive heard so far as far as Magnaflow and Flowmaster.. Yes they are a very low, deep tone, but the SLP's are too, and I love the way they rasp and rip when you get on it..! Not to mention the idle sound is absolutely what I wanted, a nice big block engine sound when it idles and a crazy deep drone on the startup
Ill post the sound clip I found of a 97 Mustang GT w/ the Flowtech LT Headers, Flowtech X, and SLP LM Catback.. So you guys know what Im listening too.. It by far out matches any of the other systems I have heard as far as sound in every category, and like I said gives a nice low, kinda raspy racing sound to it. Ill post it later.

Anyway, I have a few other questions that were on my mind at school today and last night...:

1.) 2V or 4V headers for a 4.6L V8 Mustang GT?
2.) How much do you guys think this will run to get installed..? (LT Headers, X-Pipe, and SLP LM Catback)

Thanks for your help again.

1. 2v. GTs have the 2v engine, while Cobras and the Mach One have the 4v engine.
2. A lot. At the very least, install SLP by yourself. SLP is such a breeze to install; it literally takes 15 minutes if you have the right tools. But the rest of the exhaust will cost a lot to install because it's a major hassle. Experienced mechanics will still take 3-4 hours to install headers, so $75 x 4 = $300 at the VERY LEAST. Honestly, I think you should do it yourself - it'll be a great learning experience.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:28 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

A friend I know at school knows how to do a bunch of stuff... But wouldn't you have to lift the car?
And what about the welding kit?

Let me know.
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

A friend I know at school knows how to do a bunch of stuff... But wouldn't you have to lift the car?
And what about the welding kit?

Let me know.
Thanks.
Haha, of course you'd have to lift the car - probably 2' or so is plenty of clearance. Why would you need a welding kit? Everything should bolt right on.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:42 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

By the way, headers will probably take 10 hrs for a first timer. But it's fun!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:50 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

LOL, Great... Well Im only 18 so I can't put down just as much money Im paying for the system to put it on! Haha,
So in that case, my friend and I are always looking for a challange, and Im interested in learning how to work on my car

So a total of 10 Hrs or $400? Hmm... The project starts to come to reality. Haha.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:35 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Hey Dreamking:

Again excuse my extreme 1st timerness, but when you say everything can be bolted, I understand that the headers are bolted to the mid x-pipe and that the x-pipe is then bolted to the cat back system, but the parts of the cat back system don't have to be welded? Because like in the pictures, I see the cuplings to put the pieces together.. But those are bolted on also? Not welded?

And one other thing, then the entire underneath part of the system would be clamped to the body? Or how does that work?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:37 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

^Yes if you order say the "Loudmouth1" package... it will fit in all stock locations... so you just Hang it up and bolt the cuplings etc.
No welding is needed.

This is to my knowledge of course.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok Great. Thats what I wanted to hear.

Because I sure as hell don't want any clamps under there.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:59 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

Hey Dreamking:

Again excuse my extreme 1st timerness, but when you say everything can be bolted, I understand that the headers are bolted to the mid x-pipe and that the x-pipe is then bolted to the cat back system, but the parts of the cat back system don't have to be welded? Because like in the pictures, I see the cuplings to put the pieces together.. But those are bolted on also? Not welded?

And one other thing, then the entire underneath part of the system would be clamped to the body? Or how does that work?

Thanks.
Look under your car. The stock exhaust is held there by hangers that go through rubber housings. All aftermarket pieces come with the hangers, which will easily fit in the rubber housings. Just spray some WD40 on them first and then they will slide right in.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:01 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Lol, sorry guys a lot on my mind.
Couple of questions for your guys who probably have a better idea than I do.

1. Changed: Nevermind, Im going to go with the BBK Headers... I don't want to jip myself and screwup like I did with my stupid Magnaflows. I want to get it done right. Could someone tell me what a good price is for the BBK LT Headers? And a purchasing place maybe?

2. Anyone know of a place I can get the SLP LM's for somewhere in the $350 range? Lower would be crazy if you know of somewhere.

Also a fun question.. lol:
With the SLP LM's, LT Headers, and a o/r X-pipe w/o Cats... would this sound rival my next door neighbors 66' 427 Corvette?

Thanks a bunch again guys.

Quick Reply: Stock to Full Exhaust Suggestions