4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stock to Full Exhaust Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 07:42 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default Stock to Full Exhaust Suggestions

Hey Guys,

Im 18 years old and I have a 00' Mustang GT Vert... The car has a lot of exterior and interior work done to it such as karamani body kit, lowering springs, and other suchs modifications. Im starting to get into the techinical side, but I still do not know too much at all, but Im learning. Anyway....

As I said the car has a lot of exterior mods, but the engine and exhuast system is stock, 4.6L V8 ... no modifications at all.
I am looking to change the exhaust system right from the headers through the mid to the cat back system. I am looking for performance of course... But I am mainly looking for that extremely mean sound. I am not afraid of noise and I want to hear that V8. I did have muffler replacements put on (magnaflow) just to test it out, but I am no where near satisfied. I am looking for that nasty startup sound, big block idle noise, and tremendous growl as im accelerating and cruising, I want em to hear me comin!

I found a video clip of a kid who had a 97' Mustang GT, he put Flowtech LT headers, and offroad Xpipe and an SLP Catback system in the car, and it sounded nasty... just what I was looking for. Can you guys give me some suggestions of what I should do... Im going to ask a guy up the block from me to take a look at the car, he owns a performance shop, just so I know exactly what I need specifically for my car, but I am looking for some suggestions on brands, sizes, ect. Is what I listed a good idea? Or should I be looking elsewhere for brands?

Thanks a lot guys, let me know if you need to know any more information to help me out.
- Mike
Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Stock to Full Exhaust Suggestions

The SLP LM are a very popular exhaust. Those would sound really mean with a good set of LT headers and an X/H pipe. Make sure you get those headers ceramic coated! The performance gains would be pretty good.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:30 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Okay, first, Flowtech is garbage.

You'll want something like this:

Headers - Long tube type (LTs). Many good companies make 'em, but spend the $ for ceramic or Jet Hot coated. Warning, LTs make tranny work a bitch.

Mid pipe - H or X. Xs prefer higher rpms, H lower. Depending on your state/local emissions, you can drop the cats. But, with the newer hi-flow cats, you're really not losing anything to have them.

Cat back - You want loud? I'm told the Loud Mouth 1s are the absolute loudest. Warning, it will make your ears ring - no ****. LM2s are not as loud.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:35 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys. Some good information there.

04BlueGT:
Ive hear that X-Pipe gives you much more HP, Noise, and performance gains than a H-Pipe.. Is this true? And depending on your answer what would you recommend, and X-mid or an H-mid?

And could anyone make a good suggetion for a brand type for ceramic coated headers?
And also an X/H-Pipe brand type?
Thanks.

Any others suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Thanks a lot guys. Some good information there.

04BlueGT:
Ive hear that X-Pipe gives you much more HP, Noise, and performance gains than a H-Pipe.. Is this true? And depending on your answer what would you recommend, and X-mid or an H-mid?

And could anyone make a good suggetion for a brand type for ceramic coated headers?
And also an X/H-Pipe brand type?
Thanks.

Any others suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Xpipe will give you more hp and it will be louder at wide open throttle. It is not that big of a difference, in power, so people just go with personal preference. I like the x. LT headers are made by BBK, BASSANI, SLP, ect. Those 3 are the best quality. LT's sound unreal compared to stock. I think it would be cool to have SLP headera, slp x and LM1. Make sure when you are buying your midpipe, that it say for LT's headers. Short X pipe is used to LT. Good luck with it all, and let us know what you choose. Sound clips would be nice.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:58 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok Thanks a lot guys.

This will probably not happen for another month and 1/2, right around christmas Im hoping to get a few things and put some money into it myself, but I will definitely keep in touch and post some sound clips when its all done.

Thanks again for your help!

Eh, figured I'd Post some pictures for the guys who helped me out... This is my car and what Im workin with
Like I said Ill keep in touch if I have any other questions and DEF. post some sound clips later on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24273/5D3525D9D5AF47E3BF8B9CA6CFD4CCD4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24273/07E41ADB79CC4130A4F7A8434D43EC73.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24273/7C041C49399B47AAA7F1361AEB473757.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

BBK LT's w/ a BBK O/R X or MAC Pro-Chamber and Magnaflow Cat-Back. That is one of the best performance set ups I know off. I truley don't like how the magnaflow sounds, but the performance out of it sure makes up for the sound Get some more feedback before you decide though.

-Bryan
Old 11-06-2005, 10:36 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Yea I don't like the way Magnaflow systems sound. They are designed to be extremely quiet and noise makers only during acceleration... As I know from experience because I have some on my car now and I am not happy. They are almost quieter than the stock mufflers at an idle position, and yes they give a very unique roar, but only on acceleration.

Anyway... Thanks for the suggestion, I need all the feedback I can get - But Im also going to ask the performance guy I know up the block from me, just to make absolutely sure of what I need for my car specifically.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:53 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

My buddy ran an O/R X with a Flowmaster AT cat back. He sold it a few months ago, but I hear it a few times a week. It is the only car I can ID by ear. The MagnaFlows are nice because they are stainless steel. In northern climates, they will outlast aluminized tubes and mufflers. That is why I'm leaning towards them. However, I still like the sound the Flowmasters make, but the O/R X makes it a little raspy.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Yea I kinda like the raspy sound of the loudmouths too... It is the first exhaust system that gives the car a real racing tone to it. The break away rip in the lower RPM's in unmatchable from what Ive heard so far as far as Magnaflow and Flowmaster.. Yes they are a very low, deep tone, but the SLP's are too, and I love the way they rasp and rip when you get on it..! Not to mention the idle sound is absolutely what I wanted, a nice big block engine sound when it idles and a crazy deep drone on the startup
Ill post the sound clip I found of a 97 Mustang GT w/ the Flowtech LT Headers, Flowtech X, and SLP LM Catback.. So you guys know what Im listening too.. It by far out matches any of the other systems I have heard as far as sound in every category, and like I said gives a nice low, kinda raspy racing sound to it. Ill post it later.

Anyway, I have a few other questions that were on my mind at school today and last night...:

1.) 2V or 4V headers for a 4.6L V8 Mustang GT?
2.) How much do you guys think this will run to get installed..? (LT Headers, X-Pipe, and SLP LM Catback)

Thanks for your help again.

Quick Reply: Stock to Full Exhaust Suggestions