4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Safety Harness (belts)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 AM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

Default Safety Harness (belts)

Hello! ok...
I am looking for harness's for my car...
however- I do not have a roll cage/want a roll cage installed.
and also I do not have/want aftermarket seats installed.
I have teh STOCK (2004 Mustang GT seats)

now is there a harness that is made to go with a stock seat and stock head rest?
or is there a way to make a harness work with a stock seat?
PLEASE let me know. THANK YOU!

^something like that of course is what I mean.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Safety Harness (belts)

The problem that you are goint to run into is the mounting point for the harness. you need to mount the shoulder straps at shoulder level or no more that 30 DEG. angle from shoulder height. The purpose for this is if you mount it lower than that and you get into a accident your chances of suffering a spinal compression injury will be great. If you are not going to install a roll bar with the cross bar to mount to it is not worth haveing the harness. the other problem that you will have is if you roll the car the harness will hold you in the seat and not let your body be pushed around a little to get out of the way of the roof crushing down and therefore you will get crushed. I have looked into this and did a lot of reasearch on the belts and how to intall/mount them and the only way to do it safely is to install a roll bar (at least 4 point with cross brace to mount the belts too). So to answer your question about useing the stock seats, Yes you can, but you will need a roll cage of some kind.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:04 AM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

^wow, thanks for all the info. very nice.
I see how it works now.

So what does it mean tho when it says they are/can be "floor mounted"?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JoeyD

^wow, thanks for all the info. very nice.
I see how it works now.

So what does it mean tho when it says they are/can be "floor mounted"?

Thanks for the help

When you floor mount them you run it over the cross bar (the bar that runs between the vertical's of the main hoop at shoulder level) and then bolt them to the floor directly behind your seat. The belts have to be longer to do this so therefore they sell the belts that are bar mounted (short) and one's that are floor mounted (longer).
Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

What kind of power do you put down to the wheels? Unless your putting down a lot of power and running a low quarter, whats the point of wasting the money?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I have a Recaro SPG-XL. I love it!! Its very expensive about $1300 but worth it, if I had to do it again I would buy a Sparco racing shell. But I would go with a Autopower rollbar. Thats what I am doing along with a harness like you are interested in.

But if you want access to your rear seats you can buy this.... http://www.sparcousa.com/harness_bars.asp It mounts to your bolts where your seatbelts bolt too so its at the proper shoulder height. Also those two bars mount to the seatbelt bolt in the floor to keep the harness bar from twisting. This is your best option in your situation.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Heres what it looks like in a mustang. http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/49.pdf

Also you will have to buy an adapter for your racing seat. Get a real strong one! I have broken the braket in two spots and have had to bolt it with pieces of metal to get it to normal.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:04 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

^NICE that is awsome!

Yeah I will check into that if (i get everything working out again)

THANKS so much for the replies!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:01 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

JoeyD, whats your 1/4 mile times?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DIVER8374

The problem that you are goint to run into is the mounting point for the harness. you need to mount the shoulder straps at shoulder level or no more that 30 DEG. angle from shoulder height. The purpose for this is if you mount it lower than that and you get into a accident your chances of suffering a spinal compression injury will be great. If you are not going to install a roll bar with the cross bar to mount to it is not worth haveing the harness. the other problem that you will have is if you roll the car the harness will hold you in the seat and not let your body be pushed around a little to get out of the way of the roof crushing down and therefore you will get crushed. I have looked into this and did a lot of reasearch on the belts and how to intall/mount them and the only way to do it safely is to install a roll bar (at least 4 point with cross brace to mount the belts too). So to answer your question about useing the stock seats, Yes you can, but you will need a roll cage of some kind.

And the above it the major problem with that harness brace that the link is of. I had looked into that and decided that it is not worth have the 5pt belts and then roll the car and be crushed. You can do what you like but i did look into this for a bout 4 months doing research and out of everything that I read it recommonds not installing 5pt seat belts without a roll bar (4pt minimum).

Also looking at a price of $329.00 you can get a 4pt roll bar for that price. If it was me (and this is what I am going to do) I would just get the roll bar for the same price and have the added safety and stiffness in the car. JMO

Quick Reply: Safety Harness (belts)