4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Shifter install

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 06:30 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default Short Shifter install

I know some of this is covered in other threads, but I couldn't find anything for the T45 transmission. My question is how much fluid will the T45 need if I change the tranny fluid during the shifter install? What does everyone think about putting additives into the transmission, like Dura Lube or Lucas. And one more, do I need to get longer bolts to install the PRO 50 shifter?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Short Shifter install

Hmm well I just got done putting in my MGW shifter. However, I did not replace the trans. fluid because it's 6:00 and it's dark as hell out now. I started on the project at like 3:45 and would have been done at about 5:00, but the shift stops were screwed up so I had to go back and undo them. It takes FOREVER to unbolt all of the bolts. The inner boot bolts are a pain in the ***. Make sure you have an extension for your socket wrench or you will get very pissed off. I only had a 3 inch extension. If I would have had a 6 it would have been much quicker. The MGW comes with great instructions. I'm debating whether or not to change my trans fluid b/c I hear it's a bitch to do. Anyone give a short write up on how to do it?

As of now the shifter shifts like **** lol. It still needs to be broke in so maybe in a week or two it will be much better. It is a lot shorter of a shift though and the shifter doesn't stick out as far. It looks great.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

When you installed your new shifter did it come with longer bolts? I bought a used shifter and he did not give me any bolts, the guy I bought it from said the shifter was in the car when he bought it. Someone posted to change the transmission fluid just syphone it into a cup and then pour the new transmisson fluid right in? Sounds simple enough.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

Drain it through the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission and re-fill it through the open shifter hole while the shifter is out.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Yes mine came with new bolts. I don't think they were longer, they were just new and black. In the MGW they say DONT use the stock ones b/c they supply new ones. I don't know if it's a good or bad idea to use your stock ones though since you don't have any new ones.

I heard you had to change a filter for the transmission and a gasket??! Is that all bs?!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Thats what I am curious about, when I changed the transmission fluid on my Explorer I changed the filter and of course when you drop the pan to get to the filter you need to change the gasket. If you just drain the fluid and add new fluid how effective will that be running through a dirty filter?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:41 PM
98GTstang
2nd Gear Member

t-45s dont have filters..atleast the mine didnt. it takes 3.27 quarts of tranny fluid. I use syncromesh. Are you sure ur 01 have a t-45? And all you have to do is take out the drain plug, i think its a 3/8 rachet. and fill it back up after putting the plug back in. I take off my shifter and fill it from the top its alot easier. And use silicone when you put the shifter back on
Old 11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

I know in mid 2001 they switched to the 3650. If you check the sticker in the door jam, TR is the transmission and K means you have the 3650, and 6 means you have the T45.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Mines an 00 so i know i have the t45. So it doesnt come with a filter? strange.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:17 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

I just installed my PRO 5.0 shifter this morning, would have only taken about an hour if I wouldn't have gotten into a kick and taken apart my whole center console to clean out all the cracks. Everything looks like new, the shifting is a bit weird at first and I don't like the way the leather around the shifter is so bunched up now, but I am sure I will get used to it. Definitely an improvement, stock shifter looked sooo pathetic compared to aftermarket shifter.

Next stop gears!! Going 3.73, sorry guys but I drive alot on the highway and gas mileage is a factor for me.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter install