4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sound Oriented

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default Sound Oriented

I know I have been talking about exhaust systems, but I really want to know every part of the car that has to do with sound.

Im planning on doing LT Headers, o/r X, and LM1's.

What other parts of the car contribute to sound though?
Im really not interested in performance because my car is not racing anyone. Im just interested in the compenents of the car that have to do with sound, so I can derive the best sound from my car. If you could list the part of the car that contributes to sound, I'd appreciate it. And if the part requires other work in order to gain sound performance, please note that as well. For instance Cams require other engine work in order to derive sound.. etc.

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 AM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sound Oriented

the exhaust on the 4v cobra motor sounds better than the exhaust of a 2v GT. i wouldn't go buy a cobra just for a deeper exhaust note though. cams will also change the sound it will lope at idle giving it more of a dragster sound,

RIGHT!!!!!!!!! pretend i didn't even say cams, i just now read the rest of your post
Old 11-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

...the stereo system is sound related.

...and superchargers make a nice noise as the car revs up.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:39 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Lol, alright.. So not to much else goes into it besides a full exhaust system I take it.

Now If I'm going based on sound, Im really not that interested in performance because I don't plan on racing my car, I just want the sound and the looks - Will I be able to go with a cheaper brand of LT Headers Like MAC? Instead of BBK... and Still get a good sound?

And also, they guy I am friends with up the block at the gas station knows how to do performance work. He said he could do the headers and the full cat back for about $250? 2-3 Hours? Does this sound right or should I be suspicious? Because I thought it would take even a professional longer than that...

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

i dunno about the price of installation and all that cuz i havent had it done.

but ive heard from a couple of places that mac headers dont line up properly or something like that. again...just heresay...i have not actually experienced it...u might wanna browse around the forum more for info on the mac headers...but from what ive heard id go with something else like bbk. i think someone in the classifieds has bbk long tubes for sale for 250...check it out if youre interested.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

If your going purely for sound, then I wouldnt waste the money on LT Headers. They actually mellow out your exhaust tone a little, and deepen it somewhat. The midpipe and catback is where the most sound is coming from. And dont go MAC as stated above, I had MAC LT's, and was not happy one bit. I switched to BBK LT's and I am very pleased with the quality. My MAC's just gave me a bunch of problems, and the BBK's corrected them all. Do it right the first time. $250 for install is a great price, but its gonna take him longer then hes planning. Has he installed headers on the 4.6? Its a very tight space and will take time, more then he thinks. As far as sound again, an O/R Midpipe is going to give you the biggest variation in loudness, while the catback will give you tone depending on wether you go chambered or straight through. Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:34 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

If your going purely for sound, then I wouldnt waste the money on LT Headers. They actually mellow out your exhaust tone a little, and deepen it somewhat
ive heard that headers are the shiz for any exhaust, but like he said, if youre going strictly for sound, its probably not worth spending the dough

i know there are plenty of exhausts that are loud enough uncatted that sound just as awesome as ones with headers included