4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default clutch questions

Hey all~
got a 5 speed 1997 GT here... gonna be putting a clutch in this car come early next year, and I had a few questions.
Can it be done myself? I've done a clutch on a ford explorer, no big deal, and I'm very inclined and studying to be in this field!

What would you reccomend as a clutch to put in? I plan to do none to mild modification, so would a ford racing clutch work? I saw a kit with the clutch and pressure plate for $160 from summit racing, I guess was a stage I ford racing clutch... would that be good? how does it compare to a centerforce stage I?

Also, do the clutches on these cars ever just go out completely unexpectedly suddenly with no power to the wheels, or is it a gradual depreciation? It's startin to act a lil weird, but still grabs good and holds tight... it's one of a list of things to go

Thanks in advance all!

George
Old 11-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch questions

You could change the clutch on your mustang yourself. Heck its alot easier than your explorer, I figure the explorer was 4x4 so it had a transfercase. Anyways I have changed the clutch on my 89 mustang, no problem. And already took out my trans in my 03 mustang. I am putting a Spec stage 1 clutch kit in my car. Its rated to 420ft. lbs. Ford racing clutch would fine for you also. Just remember to get the flywheel resurfaced before you bolt the new clutch on. Also the clutch won't go suddenly, it gradually wears away. Unless of course you crack and break your clutch, which is highly unlikely if your driving it normally.I can only see that happening if your dumping the clutch at like 5000 rpm., on a launch. Goodluck. Just be glade your not taking out a Tremec 3650 out of your car, they suck to take out, the bellhousing doesnt unbolt from the transmission. So I had take it out as one peice.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

okay great thanks.... so when I pull the clutch off, also un bolt the flywheel and have that redone... conveniently we have a machine shop about 5 blocks from my house so that won't be a problem. I never launchat 5000 rpm, I usually use 2000 or so and let it engage and then floor it.... less of a launch but more life for my drivetrain! I guess between now and next year I'm going to limp along on this clutch and save some $$, because I'm puttin gin a catted performance H pipe with the clutch, and I may be rebuilding the tranny..

thanks for the help...

if anyone has a link to instructions for removing the trans let me know... 1997 GT 5 speed...
just looking to arm myself with as much book info as possible, it has always worked for me!

George
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

Hey all~
got a 5 speed 1997 GT here... gonna be putting a clutch in this car come early next year, and I had a few questions.
Can it be done myself? I've done a clutch on a ford explorer, no big deal, and I'm very inclined and studying to be in this field!

What would you reccomend as a clutch to put in? I plan to do none to mild modification, so would a ford racing clutch work? I saw a kit with the clutch and pressure plate for $160 from summit racing, I guess was a stage I ford racing clutch... would that be good? how does it compare to a centerforce stage I?

Also, do the clutches on these cars ever just go out completely unexpectedly suddenly with no power to the wheels, or is it a gradual depreciation? It's startin to act a lil weird, but still grabs good and holds tight... it's one of a list of things to go

Thanks in advance all!

George
I would recommend the base level mcleod clutch. Its what I had before I changed the tranny and went with the new spec. It wasn't too stiff, (comfortable for a daily driver) but it had a much better feel than the stocker (it was much faster to engage and disengage) and had a better torque/horsepower rating.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

i got a spec 3 clutch, its real grabby. after the break in its alright for street use, but definetly go with a stage 1 of whichever clutch you go with. spec clutches are known for chatter, mine does a bit but not so bad after the break in. of course my cats are rubbing against my frame to add to the annoying rattle.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:57 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

i got a spec 3 clutch, its real grabby. after the break in its alright for street use, but definetly go with a stage 1 of whichever clutch you go with. spec clutches are known for chatter, mine does a bit but not so bad after the break in. of course my cats are rubbing against my frame to add to the annoying rattle.
My stage 3 does the same thing. Hell, I even put in a brand new aftermarket flywheel. It chatters when I start off in 1st.

I have to say it is ALOT stiffer on the clutch action than I thought it was. However, there is no comparasion to how good it shifts and feels in racing (to the stocker, or the mcleod).

I agree with montana though, definatly stick with a stage 1 type clutch. Anything else is just overkill and everyday driving pain in your ***.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:07 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

I heard stage 1 & 2's didn't chatter, but they really started chattering on the stage 3's and above. Anyone know if this is true or false. I can't speaks from experience yet, my stage 2 goes in next week.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

oh man thanks for the replies everyone! Been busy haven't been able to check back. Yeah so I guess a stage 1 will be what I'm goin with. My mods will be mild on the engine end, I plan to do things like intake, chip, rear end.... and then a bunch of looks related stuff...

so what would you all prefer, centerforce or ford racing? I'm looking to keep a clutch kit under $200 for disc and pressure plate... I'm mainly goin for a bit more grab but something that'll last longer than a stocker...

also, is it better to get a new flywheel (price?) or to have my current one resurfaced? (price?)

I appreciate all the input... helps a lot.... only problem I'm running into now is money! Damn I wish I had a money tree!

George