MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Motive Gears vs Ford Gears (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/76238-motive-gears-vs-ford-gears.html)

JoeyD 11-15-2005 02:27 AM

Motive Gears vs Ford Gears

Yes I wanted to see what people have to say on this topic...

B/c I was looking at mustang tuning store and they actually SUGGEST buying the MOTIVES over the Ford Gears...

saying that the Motives are Cheaper and just as good of a gear.
No whine, durable etc...

What does everyone think?

:)

2000gtmustang 11-15-2005 02:34 AM

RE: Motive Gears vs Ford Gears

well i just ordered some 4.10 motive gears for my 5 speed gt.. ordred them yesterday from mustangtuning.com
there at a decent price and about all the people around here has them and they like them.. there good for the price

nanaki 11-15-2005 09:20 AM

i'm biased with FRPP. the local mustang performance shop won't touch motive gears. that was reason enough for me.

DIVER8374 11-15-2005 10:13 AM

The local performance shop here highly suggested to get the FRPP gears, he ranked them the best and then Motive second in his opinon. I ordered the Motive ones, but they did not tell me that they were out of stock on them and did not know when they were goign to get ant in so they sent me the Ford ones for the same price. I was happy about that, now I can not wait to pick up my car today after work to see what they are like!!!!!

Bob99GTConv 11-15-2005 11:24 AM

Go FRPP, my shop said the same thing, Motive gears are not as good. OH! And I ordered gears listed as "OEM" Ford gears. Come to find out they WERE NOT FORD GEARS, they were made by a company namde OEM! Fucers [:@] Can you believe that.

jlauth 11-15-2005 12:50 PM

all gears can whine that just has to do with install, but look at my sig (FRPP)

The Great Cornholio 11-15-2005 12:55 PM

My opinion is, if you are first concerned with saving $50 on parts and second about quality you shouldn't be doing a rear gear change.

Dan04COBRA 11-15-2005 01:29 PM

Let's clear this up, the gears are equal quality. The FRPP's are easier to install and get the backlash set correctly, they require no shims or very small shims if any. But since it's DUMB, yes...DUMB to install gears without replacing your bearings, it doesn't really matter which gear you go with, they will both require shimming for the proper backlash.

I had motive 4.30's that got the living crap pounded out of them.

xx9gt6xx 11-15-2005 02:05 PM

You can't go wrong with the FRPP. I just got my FRPP 4:10 and they're going in monday. I'm sure the Motives are great, but I'd play it safe with the FRPP.

-Bryan

Emann0007 11-15-2005 02:12 PM

I talked to 3 shops when I was installing my gears, and 2 of them told me flat out "If those aren't FRPP, we can't help ya, sorry" I already had my gears and they are FRPP, but it was interesting that their initial reaction and statement was so biased. Mechanics must know.... Gear whine, strenght, backlash, shimming, pinion depth. They all told me the sme thing, They are just a pain to put in and they cannot gaurantee me no whine. With the FRPP's they all said the same thing, "For $XXX, we can have you cruising. You won't be able to tell the difference, well until you give it some gas of course!" And get the rebuild kit!!!