4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Nitto Drag Radials... Si o No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:26 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Nitto Drag Radials... Si o No?

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Its all simple really. The long life of the nitto's is directly related to the crappy quality of the rubber. Dont get me wrong, they are tons better than stock. Thoses other two tires are usually going to be track only, cuz they will not last very long, due to the soft compound.

When they say they are the longest lasting D/R, then its probably gonna be the least sticky.
It has nothing to do with "crappy quality" of the rubber. The reason they last longer is because they are designed to. They are not designed to be as soft (and thus as sticky) as a BFG etc. They also don't cause your car to slide into the wall at the slightest hint of rain, and they last more than two thousand miles.

Basically your argument would say that any tire that wears out super fast is of high quality??? That makes absolutly no sense.

I love my nittos. I have regular 555s up front, and the D/R out back. When I put em on it was night and day compared to my old regular (non d/r) BFGs. Plus, the price is much cheaper than I was used to paying for a performance tire. If anyone wants to say that nittos are a ****ty product, they have quite a few people to argue with. The 555R is the most popular D/R on the market, espcially for mustangs. (which is also BTW why they are cheap)

On any car that will acutally be a daily driver, or one that will see anything but the twice a month sunny day drive in town, the nittos are the only way to go in drag radial land.

OK smartass, from a drag tire standpoint quality=hooking ability. they are ****ty quality tires. Compare Nittos with any other D/R, and guess what tires gonna hook the worst? And yes, the tire that wears out the fastest at the track is going to be the stickiest tire. Its all common sense. If nittos are supposed to last 1,000,000,000 miles, then obviously they arent the only way to go in drag radial land if you are in any way concerned with 60ft times. Whats your best 60ft time with the Nittos? All i hear from Nitto owners is exactly what dan04cobra said

"Nitto's..I had to fry the snot out of them to get half the traction I had with COLD BFG's."

If you are not going to be at the track, then Nittos may be for you. I agree/bet they are fun on the streets. If you are SERIOUS about racing, try another pair.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:04 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I have run through 3 sets of the Nittos. When I decided I wanted to go with 335's VS the 315's, I had been running, I tried the Kumho V700's. They were less $$ than the Nittos and I have been quite happy with them.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I have 555R's and if I floor it with cold tires I will redline spinning (on the street), but if I do a little burnout they hook nicely. It's better the warmer the tempurature outside. I used them at the track and they worked perfect on my car.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:13 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Its all simple really. The long life of the nitto's is directly related to the crappy quality of the rubber. Dont get me wrong, they are tons better than stock. Thoses other two tires are usually going to be track only, cuz they will not last very long, due to the soft compound.

When they say they are the longest lasting D/R, then its probably gonna be the least sticky.
It has nothing to do with "crappy quality" of the rubber. The reason they last longer is because they are designed to. They are not designed to be as soft (and thus as sticky) as a BFG etc. They also don't cause your car to slide into the wall at the slightest hint of rain, and they last more than two thousand miles.

Basically your argument would say that any tire that wears out super fast is of high quality??? That makes absolutly no sense.

I love my nittos. I have regular 555s up front, and the D/R out back. When I put em on it was night and day compared to my old regular (non d/r) BFGs. Plus, the price is much cheaper than I was used to paying for a performance tire. If anyone wants to say that nittos are a ****ty product, they have quite a few people to argue with. The 555R is the most popular D/R on the market, espcially for mustangs. (which is also BTW why they are cheap)

On any car that will acutally be a daily driver, or one that will see anything but the twice a month sunny day drive in town, the nittos are the only way to go in drag radial land.

OK smartass, from a drag tire standpoint quality=hooking ability. they are ****ty quality tires. Compare Nittos with any other D/R, and guess what tires gonna hook the worst? And yes, the tire that wears out the fastest at the track is going to be the stickiest tire. Its all common sense. If nittos are supposed to last 1,000,000,000 miles, then obviously they arent the only way to go in drag radial land if you are in any way concerned with 60ft times. Whats your best 60ft time with the Nittos? All i hear from Nitto owners is exactly what dan04cobra said

"Nitto's..I had to fry the snot out of them to get half the traction I had with COLD BFG's."

If you are not going to be at the track, then Nittos may be for you. I agree/bet they are fun on the streets. If you are SERIOUS about racing, try another pair.
What you were saying sounded like the nittos are not a quality tire. The "quailty" of the tire has ALOT more to do than just the 60' times. What about streetablity, how they drive in the rain, how long they last etc?? How often do you buy performance parts for your car and only consider how much faster it will be at the track??

And yes, if you are "serious" about racing, aka you take your nearly stock GT to the track on a trailer and don't drive it on the street (or at least not with drag radials on) then the nittos are not for you. It sounds like to me the original poster is gonna use his car as a daily driver, not a track only machine, and there is not that much done to the car anyway.

And I hate to break it to ya, but the M/Ts and BFGs are not much better than the nittos on the street. On a non prepared surface you only get so much traction. Hell, I have seen nearly identical cars get an almost even launch on the street, one running D/Rs and one running full on slicks.

Unless it is a track only car (or a 2000 mile a year streeter) nittos are the only way to go. If you can afford to buy new tires every 2-3 thousand miles, (espcially ones that cost as much as the M/Ts) and you don't care about driving in the rain, then get something other than the nittos.