4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM
RodGT35th

Default RE: Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!

I hate to say it. If it were not for the V6 cars. There would probably not be a mustang period. Since the majority of the sales are V6. Thats where they justify making the car. They want the mass profits. I am actually very surprised that Chevy is able to continue building Corvettes. I am sure it is mainly a prestige thing. Because you know they don't sell anywhere near what Ford sells in Mustang.Then again Corvettes and Dodge Vipers are almost in the "exotic" classs as far as my wallet is concerned.
No I personally don't think Ford would even build a Cobra Mustang if were not for the V6 cars. HEY but lets not forget Fords "Exotic" (I am sure it's only prestige at stake and not profits) the Ford GT.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

I'm majoring in marketing and minoring in economics....trust me...Its all about the Benjamins my friend....
Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

Ferraris and lambos arent muscle cars. They are "Exotics." Anytime you pay 300k for a car it better not be a v6...By putting v6s in "muscle cars" it allows people that are less fortunate to afford a nice car. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure some cobra owners would say that there shouldnt be a v8 in a GT. Nothing wrong with a v6, especially if its turboed.
Uhh..there's a $200K+ Porsche and it's a 6 cylinder. The Acura NSX is a 6 Cylinder...I'll let you know as I think of others.... Lotus uses 4 cylinders and it will put the smack down on most V8's.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Stang9946

ORIGINAL: JoeyD

However CORVETTE is the only American Muscle car to Keep a v8 always since the day it started...

Vette has stayed v8 all the way through...

Mustang and Camaro/Firebird should have as well.
Yes, yes, and yes.

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

i'd hate to think of where he stands on fox bodys with 2.3's
G-a-r-b-a-g-e!
Pulease....Vette is a sports car, not a muscle car as in set up for both twisties and straighline..independent suspension etc. Ford offered the Cobra with IRS and look what happened most Owners cried because the straighline performance is hindered. Mustangs have almost always been available in a sixer (straight or V), same goes for Camaro/Firebird. Vette and Mustang are for two different markets. People that consider vettes also look at porsche and BMW. Mustang owners look at what...? GTO, Hemi engine based vehicles, rwd solid axle. Dream of a vette (not always).

I wouldn't spend 60-80K for a new car (average Vette these days) maybe 40K for one (Cobra or variant).
Old 11-18-2005, 02:13 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Yeah its all about the "sales"

However CORVETTE is the only American Muscle car to Keep a v8 always since the day it started...

oh and GTO is as well now I guess (even tho it left production foreevvver)

EXCUSE ME??? The first Corvette came with a STRAIGHT SIX! Do your homework.....
Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Yeah its all about the "sales"

oh and GTO is as well now I guess (even tho it left production foreevvver)

Not true. The 1954 Corvette was an inline 6 banger. Chevy didn't start using V8's until 1955.
LOL, I'm glad someone remembers. Soaring wins the "Best Informed Motorhead Award".

And by the way, Ferrari has made 4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder cars.

03YP gets Runner-up Best Informed Motorhead! !
Old 11-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

I huge factor that plays in the need for a V6 is fuel economy and pollution. Each manufacturer has to meet an overall mileage (for their entire lineup) each year. This is a huge reason why you see v6 muscle cars, 4 cylinder small trucks, etc. It also increases sales as I'm sure since the mustang was released the v6 models have outsold the v8s.

there is a positive for the v8 guys though....the more v6s they sell the more power (less mpg, less pollution controls) the v8s can have
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

This isn't even worth commenting on but i'll try.
Lambos and and Ferraris are hand built limited quantity exotics selling for 10 times the cost of a normal car.
Ford GT, Viper, Corvette are all semi-exotic american cars that don't come with a tiny engine option.

The Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Charger are regular consumer cars built on assembly lines in regular factories sold in huge quantities to the largest possible demographic of potential buyers. That V6 or 4-banger version of the car is the base model so you might as well consider all of those big engines as simply upgrades because the larger engine versions which appeal to the small percentage of consumers who are auto-enthusiests don't typically make the investors and stockholders get excited. I think we should be grateful that there is a way for these companies to produce the more powerful versions without taking huge losses because a bankrupt company doesn't make any cars.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:40 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio

ORIGINAL: Stang9946

So an earlier post got me thinking. Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc all come in V8 and V6....but why? You don't see Lambs, Ferraris, and all those other European "muscle" cars down grading. So here's what I think...Ford Mustang...Chevy Camaro...they made their sports cars in V8s and V6s right? Why? There are people that like the car style, but don't specifically want the power or bad mpg to go with it. Well you know what? TOUGH SH**!! If you buy either of those cars..you're buying it for style, to turn heads, powerful and fast. You don't like the low mpg...don't buy the car. I say American "muscle" cars should be V8s ONLY. I'm done with my rant. Feel free to comment. The war has started...
You have said it best in your own words. If you don't care for the V6 option TOUGH SH**
I never said that. Anyway if there must be a V6..why not make that with 300hp and the V8 with 400+ then!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:47 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

it would be stupid for ford not to make a v6, they would loose so many sales from this. v6's target so many more people and its another way to sell more cars.

Quick Reply: Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!