4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Default Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!

So an earlier post got me thinking. Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc all come in V8 and V6....but why? You don't see Lambs, Ferraris, and all those other European "muscle" cars down grading. So here's what I think...Ford Mustang...Chevy Camaro...they made their sports cars in V8s and V6s right? Why? There are people that like the car style, but don't specifically want the power or bad mpg to go with it. Well you know what? TOUGH SH**!! If you buy either of those cars..you're buying it for style, to turn heads, powerful and fast. You don't like the low mpg...don't buy the car. I say American "muscle" cars should be V8s ONLY. I'm done with my rant. Feel free to comment. The war has started...
Old 11-18-2005, 12:55 AM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!

I agree that "American Muscle" shouldn't be looked upon as weak, but in the motor companies defense they are trying to run a bussiness. So it is smart for them to target other markets with a car like Mustang. Not only is it a power and MPG thing, but it is also a cost thing. The same can be said of Benz or BMW, back in the day when you saw one of those it was owned by the weathy now their bottom of the line cars are affordable by most. Its all about catering to diferent markets.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Ferraris and lambos arent muscle cars. They are "Exotics." Anytime you pay 300k for a car it better not be a v6...By putting v6s in "muscle cars" it allows people that are less fortunate to afford a nice car. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure some cobra owners would say that there shouldnt be a v8 in a GT. Nothing wrong with a v6, especially if its turboed.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:03 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

It keeps the price of the cars down becuase a lot of people buy the v6's.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:07 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

they gatta make money, you know how much sales they would loose if there never made v6 mustangs. people use them for commuter cars, rental cars, beater cars. i see tons more v6 mustangs then v8's. i think that it is very smart to make v6 mustangs, camaros its all about making money...i take it that you are young and never have takin' any business class in school. yea i know i cant even spell business....one of thoes things that has stuck with me through out my years.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Stanghead96
2nd Gear Member

its only about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ford, Chevy, etc... want everything they can get.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShiftyGT

they gatta make money, you know how much sales they would loose if there never made v6 mustangs. people use them for commuter cars, rental cars, beater cars. i see tons more v6 mustangs then v8's. i think that it is very smart to make v6 mustangs, camaros its all about making money...i take it that you are young and never have takin' any business class in school. yea i know i cant even spell business....one of thoes things that has stuck with me through out my years.
No I have a full understanding of making money and the business that goes with it. I didn't take any business classes...I just learned A LOT from my boss who's been running his own business for 33 years. Haha. Anyway i'm just saying I think it's stupid. If they'd lose sales from not making V6s, then maybe they should try a different approach no?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

yep all about the benjamins baby. i had a V6 mustang before my GT...it was my first car. i got my GT cuz my grandpa traded his car in and got it as a gift before he died of cancer (im not a rich spoiled kid whose parents buy everything for them). The V6 was a good learning car. not too much power, but could still get into trouble with RWD if you drove like an ***...which i did sometimes. and now i have a GT and have not had a problem, seeing as i respect the power so much. it is indeed a very smart business move for Ford. especially seeing as (no offense everbody) the Mustang is a great styled car and girls often love it...but many of them dont care about power all that much (girls who own GTs and love cars i also didnt mean to offend you).

oh...and stickshifty...no worries...you spelled business just fine
Old 11-18-2005, 01:25 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, its just another way for them to make money. Like said, less for a little cheaper. Personally, I would never buy a car that would be considered a muscle car that has a v6 in it. To me, having a v6 defeats the whole purpose of owning that car. And to mod it. IMO, worthless. You will get more out of the v8. (Fact) Unless you spend a s*** load of money to mod the v6. In that case, all that money could of got you a car with a v8. And a v6 isnt all that much better on gas either. I would never look at a stang on any car lot if it had a v6 in it. Not even if it was the best deal out there. Spend a little more and get the one with the v8. As for ferraris and lambos,etc, that is a whole different subject compared to mustangs, camaros, and such. No offence to anyone that owns a v6, but thats my opinion. We all have em. I can go on but I think i`ll stop here.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:55 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

it's not just about money.......well i guess in the long run it is but not only.

it's as smiple as this equasion.

no V6 = no V8

if they didn't make the V6 they wouldn't be making the V8 because the V8 sales alone wouldn't be profitable enough to bother.

Quick Reply: Why do American "muscle" car manufacts. make BS V6s?? How STUPID!!