4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I Got the Used Stang! THANKS everyone..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

Default I Got the Used Stang! THANKS everyone..

iI'm looking for a used vehicle.. i'm into both looks and performance... but I don't want to spend TOO much.. i'm thinking anywhere between 6-12 k.

anyway, one of the cars i'm considering is the '99 gt convertible

i found a few for around 10k... one has 88k miles, the other 60k.. the one with 88k looks better taken care of, nicer wheels, etc.

oh, just fyi i don't drive stick...

what i'm requesting is just any and all advice...

i heard these cars aren't too reliable.. and i shouldn't get anything with nearly as many miles as the 83k one..

am i still going to have fun in an automatic? is it still pretty fast?

any and all info would be appreciated..
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP ME buy a used Stang..

96-98 cobra would be my choice
Old 11-18-2005, 05:35 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Well first of all, Im sure plenty of people on here have cars with 60K+ Miles on their car, its really how well you take car of your car, and you should probably start to know some basics about the technical side of the car once it starts to get that high in milage.

I personally could never drive a (mustang) or any sports car for that matter that is auto. Stick makes the driving much more fun in my opinion, you will get others who say otherwise. I just couldn't ever drive a auto sports car. With that being said though, I know a bunch of Autos that are just as powerful and fast as manuals possibly even faster, so yes they are still very fast cars with the right mods, however I just don't think it's as fun.

Other advice for buying a used mustang:
1. Get someone professional to look at the car before you buy it. It could look nice on the outside, but the engine could be beat up because the person abused the car. So definitely have someone look at the "technical side" of the car.

2. And make sure you know what was done to the car as far as modifications and such, that may play a role in your decision.

3. Test drive the car, make sure the clutch is not beat to a pulp, and go through all the gears to make sure it runs smoothly. Listen for weird noises while driving it and just make sure the interior is respectable.

Thats all I have to say, others will add. Good luck.
PS - People say mustangs are unreliable, but if your take good care of it most people have no problems. Same as with any car.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:36 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mach1
96-98 cobra would be my choice

He needs a auto!!!! So any and all Cobras are out as a choice for him.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the replies fellas. keep em coming

i'm in southern cali, where traffic is hell. i don't know if this is true or not.. but i believe this fact would make driving a power car in stick a pain.. and this is the main reason i'm not in a hurry to learn stick.. but one day i will.. for sure, for my next car (hopefully an S4 or M3 or something like that.. hey, a guy can dream! hehe)

besides not driving stick, i don't like how the pre 99 stangs look. i'm not sure if the cobras look similar (i assume they do), but i don't like that generation. the 99-04s are more appealing to me.

are there big differences between the 99 and 2000 and 2001s?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

The number of miles isn't as important as how the miles got there.A car like mine that sees a lot of road miles is going to hold up better than a car that runs to the grocery store every other day.When you go to talk to an owner,try to get them to incriminate themselves by talking about how fast the car is and all their racing victories.Look at the mods,or the lack thereof,and try to figure out how the car was driven.A lot of add-on's doesn't necessarily mean the car was driven hard.Mustangs aren't maintainance hogs either.Unless a car has been abused they can easily last over 200,000 miles without major problems.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

hey mach, is that electric blue? i'm looking at two silver ones (99 gt convert)... one with 83k miles ($9k) but nice cobra rims... and one with stock rims, but only 60k miles ($9.5k)

BUT, just today i saw an electric blue one spring up on CList.. it's $12 grand.. but it's really tempting.. such a sweet color.. i'ma see if she'll go down to $10,500, or atleast $11k. it only has like 55k miles on it too... =D
Old 11-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Actually its azure blue, a mach specific color.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

The number of miles isn't as important as how the miles got there.A car like mine that sees a lot of road miles is going to hold up better than a car that runs to the grocery store every other day.When you go to talk to an owner,try to get them to incriminate themselves by talking about how fast the car is and all their racing victories.Look at the mods,or the lack thereof,and try to figure out how the car was driven.A lot of add-on's doesn't necessarily mean the car was driven hard.Mustangs aren't maintainance hogs either.Unless a car has been abused they can easily last over 200,000 miles without major problems.

I'd highly recommend learning to drive stick. It's really easy and is about the only thing that makes being in stop and go traffic bearable.. gives you something to do.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

I'd highly recommend learning to drive stick. It's really easy and is about the only thing that makes being in stop and go traffic bearable.. gives you something to do.
I would really recommend it too. You never know when your going to have to know how to drive stick.
Plus its MUCH more fun and is more powerful than auto. Plus most autos are V6 and thats garbage.

Quick Reply: I Got the Used Stang! THANKS everyone..