4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sloppy clutch pedal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:34 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Default Sloppy clutch pedal...

I've been having this problem lately... I had it once before, but it quit. The pedal will just get real sloppy for no apparent reason, but after pushing the pedal to the floor several times it goes back to normal. I can only assume that whatever mechanism they use to take up slack in the cable is letting go, and when I push the pedal it eventually takes the slack back up. So, I also assume this is only going to get worse.

Has anyone else had this problem? I absolutely hate the thought of taking my car back to the dealer, even though it's only got 14k miles on it... I was thinking about maybe just getting an aftermarket unit... any thoughts/ideas? I've never messed with a Mustang clutch/cable, and not really wanting to either, but...
Old 11-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sloppy clutch pedal...

Mustangs come with a hydrolic clutch, with no cable. There is not much in the way of 'adjustments' you can do. -Unless you get a cable kit to replace the hydrolic unit. This will give you full control for the disengagement point(the travel) of the clutch pedal. I consider this upgrade as 'SOP' when I get a new stang. If you decide to do it (I reccomend it) then do yourself a favor and get a billet quadrant as well. Ford uses a crappy plastic one, and the billet piece will help with the smoothness and consistancy of the pedal. I reccomend going through Steeda for this mod.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I beleive they changed to a hydraulic clutch for 2005. I have a 2003 GT with a tremec 3650, I just replaced the clutch and pressure plate, this weekend. I have a cable driven clutch, my 89 mustang also had a cable driven clutch.

I would have a problem with my stock clutch where the pedal would feel very little resistance, much lighter pedal than normal. Then it would go back to normal, meaning a much stiffer pedal. Is this what your experiencing? Or do you feel slack in the pedal? I beleive my problem was a problem related to the pressure plate. I think when it got real hot it would lose its clamping force, but this is my theory. Because the cable has no adjustment on it, the quadrent is plastic with no adjustment. The cable was all the slack taken out and tension put on it, due to the clutch fork pressing a little bit on the pressure plate, causing the tension.

I had a tendency of keeping my foot rested on the clutch pedal, not engaging it, but just resting it there. This wore out my throw out bearing and it wears the pressure plate out. Which probably caused the fluctuation in pressure of the pedal feel. Keep your foot on the dead pedal, if you do what I used to do. I only have 37,000 miles on my car, and the throw out bearing is shot and so is the pressure plate. I bought it with 17,000 miles so since then I had the habit of keeping the clutch pedal as a pedal so you might have the same problem as mine.

I think you have a worn out pressure plate. From what I can think of, can you better describe your problem?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

If you have not changed to an aftermarket Quadrant, the stock plastic one could be slipping across the teeth.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:10 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I too have a cable. Which I thought all Stangs did, at least through 04, but I don't really know for sure...

No, I do not think it is the clutch/pressure plate. When it gets sloppy I can reach down with my hand pick the pedal up, and it will just drop about an inch or more. There is absolutely no pressure on it above a certain point. This to me sounds like what ever holds/adjusts the cable is slipping... It's all stock still, so I was now thinking about going with an aftermarket quadrant and tensioner... I really hate to do that, but it's either that or take it to Ford... [:'(] right?

BTW, it's an '04 GT...

If I do replace them, what are my best options?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Master
3rd Gear Member

try this... push the clutch pedal to the floor with your RIGHT foot, and let it slide off the pedal that way the pedal slams back to you, i say use your right foot cause i used my left foot when it was explained to me and i F&$^ED my leg up when it slammed back up.. but it worked for me, maybe this will be of some help
Old 11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Doesnt sound like a pressure plate problem. I would think your clutch quadrent is slipping, or your clutch cable is streched. Either way, I would buy a new clutch quadrent, metal one, and a aftermarket clutch cable that is adjustable, the stock cable isnt. Also if your like get a firewall cable adjuster, so you can adjust when the clutch engages.

I would recomend not to buy a UPR aluminum quadrent, that has three different positions for the cable. Because I bought that, along with a clutch cable from them and the quadrent actually cut the cable in half. I had to replace my clutch cable on the side of the road. Luckily I was close home and I kept the stock cable. I would go with steeda, I think they sell a kit for all three peices, they sell quality products. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:33 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

I have a Zoom quadrant for sale if you are interested in it.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:40 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I really think it's the cable, becaue it still comes and goes.

I found this on sale. Appears to be about the same as the Steeda kit, but $40 cheaper. Also, do I really need BOTH an adjustable cable AND a firewall adjuster? What's the advantage there?

I may just get the Steeda quadrant, or possibly the firewall adjuster too...

For the firewall adjuster, is there any drilling or anything much to do to install it?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:49 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: angcobra

I have a Zoom quadrant for sale if you are interested in it.
Can't say that I've heard of Zoom. Tell me more please... Why are you selling it?

Quick Reply: Sloppy clutch pedal...