4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

undercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:29 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default undercoating?

i wanna get my undercarriage done, since its in such great shape now i wanna keep it that way. anyone know roughly how much it costs, or how long it would take to have it done? do they remove the exhaust or anything or just tape it off? thanks!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:35 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: undercoating?

It makes a mess of the underside of the car, they do try to tape off some stuff but it still gets on the shock bolts,mtrans mounts etc. Honestly if think about it newer cars don't really need this stuff like the old cars did, newer cars are made from galvinized steel and have other coatings to prvent rust, as long as you don't scratch the coating it won't rust. One other thing is I have heard that undercoating will trap mositure in when it is done.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:57 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

that makes sense cause my undercarriages is spotless, well a little orange . and since i wont be driving it this winter, i should be all set as far as rust goes. thanks!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:14 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

It can get messy, and though I've never had it done I do have a 67 Belvedere and 75 F100 that were both undercoated, and neither has any rust underneath. I'm still shocked at how rust free they F100 is.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
wpaskar
2nd Gear Member

I am just getting my 2001 Mustang and I want to protect my investment and make it last a long time. I will be driving the car during winter (I have no choice), so I do want to make sure it is protected from the salt and snow. I am considering getting an undercoating very soon. How sure are you about that "new cars not needing undercoating" bit?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:58 PM
04blkstang
1st Gear Member

under coating is the best investment for your car. I work at Zeibart and they do rust proofing for 400 with a lifetime warranty. Its not just the undercoating, they do the doors, trunk, ect.. Everyone that i'll see and on my car isnt messy but it might just be other shops that get it messy. Another thing is if it does get messy why care? its the underside of your car and no1 would be seeing it other than a mechanic and it would keep ur exhuast from rusting to. Dealers pay us to come and get thier cars and rust proof them everyday, I drove a viper and z06 3 weeks ago from a dealer with less then 500 miles on them .... My suggestion is do it and your car will last the life of your car and if it ever does rust they fix it.

peace, Chris
Old 11-25-2005, 02:07 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

The reason I would be concerned about it being messy is that when I (yes I work on my cars) mod it I don't want to have to deal all that stuff all over all the bolts that I need to deal with. If you look at new cars underneath they don't rust like the old cars did, this is due to better paint, better galvinizing and so on. None of my cars are under coated and I live in Chicago which is known for dumping tons of salt on the roads and all my cars look fine. In the end if you feel it is worht it, go for it. Personally I have better things to spend my money on.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:39 PM
00stang37
2nd Gear Member

wrong post. meant to make a new topic
Old 11-25-2005, 06:59 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mustang_montana

i wanna get my undercarriage done, since its in such great shape now i wanna keep it that way. anyone know roughly how much it costs, or how long it would take to have it done? do they remove the exhaust or anything or just tape it off? thanks!
You dont need it. Dont waste your money. Ziebart sucks. My company did it on my work truck and the thing rusted like it never had the protection. They drill holes in the door jambs and shoot that s*** in there. #1, never drill into the metal. It will rust right in that spot where it was drilled. Even though they put a cap on it. If you do some research, you will find alot of ziebarts closed up because of not enough business. Today cars are made so much better and rustproofing is not needed. My friend has a 95 GT and the car is never inside a garage. Its outside all the time dealing with moisture and salt. The body on the car has no rust not even in the door jambs. Underneath the car looks good as well for a car that is 10 years old and stays outside. If your car isnt gonna be used in the winter, then dont even think about wasteing your money on the undercoating.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

My last car was a 93 Lincoln MK VIII that lived outside year round.Here in WV they use cinders AND salt on the roads and you can hear it hitting the underneath of the car as you drive down the road.It had 165,000 miles with nothing other than light surface rust under the car.It also did not have any kind of rustproofing.I think it's a waste of money.