4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OH Crap Syntheic Oil!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:13 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: OH Crap Syntheic Oil!!!

Nanki I used the Motorcraft like you should I stay with this or go to another? Is this the Best for my Engine Naturally Aspirated for now!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Synthetic is just more lubricated. So if you have any leaks or anything then it will find it. Thats why it burns up quiker. You dont really want to switch between synthetic and regular because the synthetic has A LOT of additives (that are healthy for your car). It doesnt break down in heat and it doesnt gel in cool temps. Synthetic is just more expensive but its worth it unless you have leaks or HIGH mileage. with 44K your fine so dont worry but I have almost 170K so using synthetic is just asking to leak anywhere it can.

Conventional oils have solvents that stick to gaskets and seals and often cause them to swell a certain way. These gaskets and seals have been used to the same oil for years and the switch to any other type of oil (whether it is to a different conventional oil brand, or an upgrade to a synthetic) may be harmful. The oil you change (or upgrade to) will also have solvents and additives, different from the original. So in other terms, the changing of oils could result in oil leaks and/or a once small oil leak becoming bigger due to the reaction the seals and gaskets will have to the change (not because of the oil itself). If you think that this might be the case for you (i.e. if you have an older car using conventional oil), it’s recommended that you not try synthetic oil until you have an engine (or new car) with relatively virgin gaskets and seals that will be able to acclimate much more easily to the chemical changes of the newer type of oil.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:20 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys What is the Best Syntheic Oil for my car now I just used Motorcraft 5-20 Should I stay with that ?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:56 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I've been running castol synthblend 10w30 (it doesnt get to cold here) and i've never had an issue with my motor :-p
Old 11-27-2005, 02:34 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: GrayGhost01GT

Thanks guys What is the Best Syntheic Oil for my car now I just used Motorcraft 5-20 Should I stay with that ?
you're fine with motorcraft. it's what the manual recommends, so that's what i use. the place i get my oiled changed at told me to get it actually. i was going to get mobil1, but he said motorcraft was cheaper and is recommended by ford (go figure. it's made by ford!).
Old 11-27-2005, 12:11 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Hey Nanki and guys ! Is there any difference between the Motor Craft Oil and its competitors? If the motor craft full syntheic?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi Try this,it's an oil forum.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:54 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i run motorcraft 5w20 synthetic. it's what ford recommends and it's a lot cheaper than mobil1.

when i got my supercharger installed, the place put regular oil in and my car was acting funny. it wasn't turning over like it should. it'd crank for awhile before actually starting. got synthetic back in, and it pretty much went away. my car thirsts for the synthetic.
once you put synthetic in you car, theres really no going back
Old 11-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Hicks!

I use Mobil One Synthetic, which in my opinion is the best oil for my car. But Keep in mind that once you start with an oil you should stick with it. It's ok to swich brands, just not every oil change.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:39 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i run motorcraft 5w20 synthetic. it's what ford recommends and it's a lot cheaper than mobil1.

when i got my supercharger installed, the place put regular oil in and my car was acting funny. it wasn't turning over like it should. it'd crank for awhile before actually starting. got synthetic back in, and it pretty much went away. my car thirsts for the synthetic.
once you put synthetic in you car, theres really no going back
tell me about it. i didn't even know until i asked them. cause my car started starting weird and i thought it was just the supercharger itself. kept doing it though.

I use Mobil One Synthetic, which in my opinion is the best oil for my car. But Keep in mind that once you start with an oil you should stick with it. It's ok to swich brands, just not every oil change.
how many different brands have you used to come to the conclusion that mobil1 is the best?