4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mass Air Meter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 03:59 PM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Mass Air Meter?

quick question, what changedon the02 GTthat C&amp;L Performance went to the 85mm MAF instead of keeping it 80mm likein01? also isnt the C&amp;L inlet pipe basically an intake? so if you already have a cold-air system would there be any reason to swap to the C&amp;N inlet pipe? MAF's are interchangeable with any intake system right? also what do you guys think of this setup. BBK 75mm throttle body, 85mm C&amp;L MAF, C&amp;L intake plenum and the Steeda calibration package.</P>
Old 01-07-2004, 07:04 PM
BLKSTANG9879
4th Gear Member

Default Mass Air Meter?

If you get the Steeda package. The only thing you'll need is the upper intake. Steeda will give you everything else.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:43 PM
wpix
1st Gear Member

Default Mass Air Meter?

Originally Posted by brutal_gt

quick question, what changedon the02 GTthat C&amp;L Performance went to the 85mm MAF instead of keeping it 80mm likein01? also isnt the C&amp;L inlet pipe basically an intake? so if you already have a cold-air system would there be any reason to swap to the C&amp;N inlet pipe? MAF's are interchangeable with any intake system right? also what do you guys think of this setup. BBK 75mm throttle body, 85mm C&amp;L MAF, C&amp;L intake plenum and the Steeda calibration package.</P>
I would guess C&amp;L went to an 85mm MAF because Ford upgraded the 02 GT 4.6 witha larger80mm MAF. C&amp;L probablydecided to raise the sizeas aselling point. I mean who woulddish outthe bucksfor anupgrade that is the same size as the stock meter?I found out from a top garagedyno equiped located in Deer Park New Yorkwho specializes specifically in Mustang upgrades that the stock 80 MAF is perfect for the 4.6, running just a tadrich. The 85mm C&amp;L unit, on the other hand, tends to run lean. I was told that the combination of aMac Cold AirPipeand stock MAF is would be favorable over the C&amp;L package unless I plan to go with larger injectors orSupercharged. I also found out that the C&amp;L meter would not fit on the Mac Pipe -- you have to use their set up,just like a dedicated part. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever the swap the Mac for the C&amp;L set up. Dyno tests have ascertained this. As far as C&amp;L's plenum in combination with a BBK 75mm TB, you can't beat it providing that you have a complete exhaust system -- all 3 facets toallow the gas to excape just as fast as it enters the engine. In actuality, an engine is just a big air pump. Again, what good is a fast intake with out a fast exhaust system?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Daytomann

Default Mass Air Meter?

</P>

So your saying it would be best to run something like..BBK CAI (or similar) with the stock 80mm MAF (on my 02 GT) with the 75mm TB and C&amp;L Plenum?</P>

And a good exhaust of course...</P>

</P>

The C&amp;L Tueflow, 85mm MAF 75mm TB and PLenum would run too lean..correct?</P>

</P>

</P>
Old 01-07-2004, 08:21 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default Mass Air Meter?

I would use a 90mm from a 2002 lightening
Old 01-07-2004, 08:41 PM
wpix
1st Gear Member

Default Mass Air Meter?

Originally Posted by Daytomann

</P>

So your saying it would be best to run something like..BBK CAI (or similar) with the stock 80mm MAF (on my 02 GT) with the 75mm TB and C&amp;L Plenum?</P>

And a good exhaust of course...</P>

</P>

The C&amp;L Tueflow, 85mm MAF 75mm TB and PLenum would run too lean..correct?</P>

</P>

</P>
That is what one expert tells me. 85mm is too big. The set up you outlined should be good for about 250rwhp which would equate to about300 bhp. Normally, a stock 260 bhp 4.6 will yield about 222 rwhp on the dyno, less if using a Auto tranny. Also, if you switch gears from the stock 3:27's tolets say 3:73's you'll lose a hp or two. But well worth it as the 4.6 2V needs to rev high to get going. Infact, on my 02 GT, the hp peaked outon the dynoat 4950 rpm. After that, thepower linedrop very quickly.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:24 AM
BLKSTANG9879
4th Gear Member

Default Mass Air Meter?

I would just go with what C&amp;L has for your car. They test the s**t out of everything before they even think about selling it to people. I would just trust what ever they got for your car.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:51 PM
wpix
1st Gear Member

Default Mass Air Meter?

Originally Posted by BLKSTANG9879
I would just go with what C&amp;L has for your car. They test the s**t out of everything before they even think about selling it to people. I would just trust what ever they got for your car.
You are right. Today, my new C&amp;L inlet pipe with 85mm Mass Air Meter arrived from RPM Outlet via UPS. I paid $366 total shipped. It took 20 minutes to install. Oh, what a difference over the MAC COLDAIR TUBE!The improvement dramatic; I felt it strong, especially at high rpm. One Mustang Expert over in Deer Park New York www.mustangmagic.com told me the C&amp;L combo would cause my 02 4.6 2V to run lean and it would detonateunless I have my computer flashed. I felt nothing nothing abnormalunder any type of load.I guess he wanted to makeanother $350 offme for the dynoflash.... It is just as you say, C&amp;L tested theS**t out their stuff. They are doing it right. I can't wait for their lower intake to come to life sometime this summer. Boy, that is going to be something!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:06 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Default Mass Air Meter?

Originally Posted by 96mustanggt46
Is that intake plenam any good i have been trying to order one for some time but can't find anyone to order it did you notice a HP gain
</P>

Go here:</P>

CR Motorsports</P>

Hope this helps...</P>
Old 02-15-2004, 01:08 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Default Mass Air Meter?

Originally Posted by BLKSTANG9879
What year is your car. Cause i think if you have a 03 or later GT C&amp;L will give you a 85mm For your car. If it pre 03 they got a 80mm for your car. Just truct them they know what you need. But hell yea trash that usless cold air intake. YOu'll get a nice hp gain from the C&amp;L set-up.
</P>

<FONT size=3>...Good Call!</FONT></P>

Quick Reply: Mass Air Meter?