4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Several questions about supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:24 PM
MustangAce

Default Several questions about supercharging

Some background -I have a 2001 black Mustang GT, mostly stock although the last owner upgraded the exhaust system and put some bling wheels on it, other minor mods. I will be having any work done by a shop as I have no tools/garage/experience etc

What are my different routes in terms of expense for supercharging? Lets say the high end would be a vortech or similar one. Would I expect to pay ~$5,000 installed?

Ok lets say I went budget. What are some known vehicles that I could pull a supercharger from out of the scrap yard? Is this a good route? If I obtain used supercharger, keeping in mind I know little at this point (I am doing research), is this going to be like everything else in life i.e. you get what you pay for and superchargers do give out?

Is this the right move? My local mechanic told me what I need to do is pull an already supercharged cobra engine from an 03' or 04' and drop it in. Is this a wise decision and is this even an option if I am not willing to do the work myself as someone has to pull the engine from the yard etc.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:25 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Several questions about supercharging

Buy an '03-'04 Cobra complete car.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Getting a Cobra engine will cost well over $4,000 and then getting it to fit and reworking your suspension to handle that beast of a motor will cost even more money.

Since you aren't doing the work yourself and you'll be paying someone by the hour, that swap could cost thousands by the time they are done.

All the factory supercharged cars I know about are all roots blown and it will take a ton of work and fabricating to get one installed and running correctly. In the end it would be cheaper to just buy a supercharger kit designed for your car. $5,000 will cover a full supercharger setup and installation + tune.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:31 PM
MustangAce

LOL I have a 12 g car.. the car you are telling me to get is double the price
Old 11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
MustangAce

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

All the factory supercharged cars I know about are all roots blown and it will take a ton of work and fabricating to get one installed and running correctly. In the end it would be cheaper to just buy a supercharger kit designed for your car. $5,000 will cover a full supercharger setup and installation + tune.
Ok so I would need a new supercharger kit such as a vortech? What are some other good superchargers in the market?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:36 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: MustangAce

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Ok so I would need a new supercharger kit such as a vortech? What are some other good superchargers in the market?
Vortech, Vortech and um...oh yeah...Vortech.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:45 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

a local shop here charges $5500 or somewhere around there for a complete new vortech kit installed and tuned.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Centrifugal: ProCharger, Vortech, Paxton
Twin Screw (Autorotor): Kenne Bell
Roots: Eaton (Likely a few more)

Those are the major ones I can think of. For street driving the Kenne Bell is the most fun (full boost from 2k RPM and up, plus an awesome sound) but also the most expensive. Centrifugal blowers are better for the strip, but still great for the street. Cheaper than the Kenne Bell blowers. Picture the roots kit as a less efficient Twin Screw blower, less expensive too.

My Paxon Novi kit will be here by the end of the week, I'll let you know how good it turns out to be.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

To be honest with you, if you are even contemplating an 03 cobra motor, then you should just trade your car in on one. Last time I saw those motors for sale the were around the 8-10k dollar range. Maybe they went down or maybe you could luck up somewhere. Best bet is to find a used vortech or procharger. Maybe even a paxton.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Centrifugal: ProCharger, Vortech, Paxton
Twin Screw (Autorotor): Kenne Bell
Roots: Eaton (Likely a few more)

Those are the major ones I can think of. For street driving the Kenne Bell is the most fun (full boost from 2k RPM and up, plus an awesome sound) but also the most expensive. Centrifugal blowers are better for the strip, but still great for the street. Cheaper than the Kenne Bell blowers. Picture the roots kit as a less efficient Twin Screw blower, less expensive too.

My Paxon Novi kit will be here by the end of the week, I'll let you know how good it turns out to be.
What is the difference between Roots and TS?

Quick Reply: Several questions about supercharging