4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How does the x pipe work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

Default How does the x pipe work?

How does an x pipe work does it connect to your headers and then u buy ur catback system and it connects to the x pipe or do u buy the catback system and weld the x pipe onto it? And isn't o/r x pipes illegal because they dont have cats?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How does the x pipe work?

The way the x-pipe works is exactly how you explained it. The x-pipe connects to the headers and then the catback system connects to the end of the x-pipe and runs out the back of the car. There should be no need for welding, it should all bolt together and fit right on the stock hangers. Just make sure that if your running long tube headers you will need a shorty x-pipe instead of the regular size which is for any other type of headers including stock.

And yes o/r pipes are illegal because they do not have cats. However, I have heard that if you have no illegal coding, x-pipes have passed emission testing, but I think that is pretty rare. Just find a private inspector, get the o/r pipe and save yourself some trouble while enjoying the HP and sound.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

The x pipe is your mid pipe. Take off the stock one and put on the new one. No welding. Yes, no cats is illegal. But you can get away with it where they dont have emissions testing.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 AM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

The way the x-pipe works is exactly how you explained it. The x-pipe connects to the headers and then the catback system connects to the end of the x-pipe and runs out the back of the car. There should be no need for welding, it should all bolt together and fit right on the stock hangers. Just make sure that if your running long tube headers you will need a shorty x-pipe instead of the regular size which is for any other type of headers including stock.

And yes o/r pipes are illegal because they do not have cats. However, I have heard that if you have no illegal coding, x-pipes have passed emission testing, but I think that is pretty rare. Just find a private inspector, get the o/r pipe and save yourself some trouble while enjoying the HP and sound.

Is it better to get the short x-pipe and then get the Lt headers or just to get the long x pipe
Old 11-29-2005, 12:55 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

It really depends on what you are trying to do.

LT headers are going to give you much much more HP than stock headers, and compared to other types of headers, LT's are the best performance wise hands down. If you went with LT's you would need a shorty x-pipe like I said.

If you are going to change the whole exhaust system, then definitely go with LT's and a short x-pipe for the most HP and best sound.
But if you don't want to mess with the headers, than a regular x-pipe and a catback will still give you an amazing sound compared to stock along with a decent HP gain.
LT's are really for those who want the most HP, or who are just noise-crazy like myself.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:53 AM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

It really depends on what you are trying to do.

LT headers are going to give you much much more HP than stock headers, and compared to other types of headers, LT's are the best performance wise hands down. If you went with LT's you would need a shorty x-pipe like I said.

If you are going to change the whole exhaust system, then definitely go with LT's and a short x-pipe for the most HP and best sound.
But if you don't want to mess with the headers, than a regular x-pipe and a catback will still give you an amazing sound compared to stock along with a decent HP gain.
LT's are really for those who want the most HP, or who are just noise-crazy like myself.

So if i get a short x pipe it wont work with my stock headers ill have to wait to get lts before i put the short x pipe on?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

yep