4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Traction control

ok i guess im one of the few who like my trac control its great in the rain it has saved my *** a few times form ending up some where i didn't want to be. but for racing or scewing off turn it off. btw from my experience and i dont' know how to drive in the snow but i had to turn it off in the snow other wise i couldn't get the clutch out.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

I love the traction control in the rain, and its the only way I can get around in the snow

p.s. start in second gear in teh snow....ease out the clutch...works every time.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:13 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

The TractAdapt from Mach1Performace Remembers the last position of the switch. If you turn it
off/on, it stays off/on even if you shut your car off.

Sounds pretty good to me, only have to press the button on occasion. No more of this turning it every time I hop in the vechicle.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
wpaskar
2nd Gear Member

yea, but $50 US to fix the thing like that? dang...
Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

traction control has it's advantages....not the least of which being that you have to have it if you want ABS.

i don't think it helps much in the snow......except for going uphills from a stop. i leave it on in the snow. actually it's on all the time because i always forget to turn it off and i don't want to disable it completely.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:02 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

i dont use it... unless im in the rain with the blower... i dont wanna accidently get into boost if ya know what i mean. but normal conditions its always off and when i was n/a it would be off. i just have a hard *** time hooking in the rain as of right now. and it rained all day today so i know how it is.[:@]
you would think that with any type of forced induction, weather it be nitrous or a supercharger, traction control could potentially damage your engine. I know that if i was spraying nitrous and my engine started cutting fuel due to traction control, my engine would probobly be destroyed.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I hate the traction control on my car. I turn it off every time I start my car. It has such a delay on it that it makes me more acceptable to accidents when its on than when its off. For instance, when I am pulling out of somewhere and am cutting a gap in traffic and I need to accelerate quickly to get into the road. I sometimes forget to turn off the traction control and when I am in middle of the road my traction control kicks in and slows me down alot, then I keep my foot on the *** until I regain traction and go. I have had a few close calls like that. Almost where the lane I am trying to cut over hits me. As for driving in the snow, its worse, this traction control is terrible. It isnt like a BMWs traction control. The delay is terrible, its like 1-2 seconds. It doesnt sound like alot but it sucks. I keep it off, sometimes you need to just spin the tires to keep momentum and move around in the snow. I drove around all last winter in my car, in Connecticut with 200lbs. of sand in the trunk no problem. With no traction control. You will get used to counter steering fishtails and if you get understeer than your going to fast for the snow.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
wpaskar
2nd Gear Member

I am good either way....I took an '85 Camaro into Ontario winter twice and survived (barely), so I definitely have the RWD skills in the snow.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

forgive me for being ignorant but what exactly is traction control, all i know is you turn it off when it is raining. thx
Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

i drive with it on all the time, unless im preparing to do something it wouldnt allow me to do

sure, ive embarrassed myself trying to do a donut one or two times, not been able to even squel the tires doesnt do much for the image either, BUT it has saved me twice

once in the light misting rain when i wasnt even thinking about it being slick, and another time on some loose gravel.

sure, its an inconvienance sometimes, but i'll bet any amount of money the number of accidents it has prevented is much greater than the number it has caused.

Quick Reply: Traction control