4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hand Held Tuner

Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hand Held Tuner

How much power will you look at with a handheld? Is it worth it to spend the extra cash and take it to get professionally tuned or is the handheld just fine?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xx9gt6xx

How much power will you look at with a handheld? Is it worth it to spend the extra cash and take it to get professionally tuned or is the handheld just fine?

Good question. Like I said the info and dyno results I posted should be accurate if you advance the timing all the way with the Diablo tune. I may spend money on a custom tune on a near stock vehicle because I was talking to a tuner and he did get some pretty nice results. If you decide you want to go that rout I would definitely get some sound advice from a tuner that knows what he can get from the car and see if you think it would be worth it for $300+ for a custom tune. Definitely get a hand held tuner though cuz they are quite nice. I may be wrong but I don't think the X-cal2 has all the bugs worked out and they said they would months ago. A car with forced induction requires a custom tune or at least one that has proven itself to be worthy in a complete kit.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I see that the SCT can be pluged up to a laptop, can the predator also be pluged up to a laptop to see a more precise data log, and tune?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

I see that the SCT can be pluged up to a laptop, can the predator also be pluged up to a laptop to see a more precise data log, and tune?
Yes it can. I did the dataloging with the Diablo tuner itself and then uploaded it to my computer to see all kinds of good info (it worked well). Fuel pressure, air inlet temp and stuff like that. The X-cal does that too and they also have the ability to make the changes to the tune on your desktop but like I said you can't make the changes with the handheld tuner itself (xcal2) or at least I can't cuz you have to have the tuner actually allow you to make the changes I believe and it's not perfected yet.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

Yes it can. I did the dataloging with the Diablo tuner itself and then uploaded it to my computer to see all kinds of good info (it worked well). Fuel pressure, air inlet temp and stuff like that. The X-cal does that too and they also have the ability to make the changes to the tune on your desktop but like I said you can't make the changes with the handheld tuner itself (xcal2) or at least I can't cuz you have to have the tuner actually allow you to make the changes I believe and it's not perfected yet.
Can you adjust the tune on your desktop from a predator tuner? And then upload it onto the predator tuner and then flash your computer on your car? That would be awesome.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Can you adjust the tune on your desktop from a predator tuner? And then upload it onto the predator tuner and then flash your computer on your car? That would be awesome.
Not sure about that. Check out the website they may have some updates since I bought mine last June.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:09 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

No, all user adjustments with a Predator are done directly from the handheld unit. Adjustments that can be done on your computer, and then uploaded to an XCal 2 are similar in range to those available on the Predator. Both only offer user adjustments across broad RPM ranges. You can fine tune with the XCal 2 if you are willing to buy the SCT Pro Racer Package and a wideband O2 datalogger. Without that, neither one is significantly better or worse than the other, and both are equal when used for custom tuning.