4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What mod(s) does the 4.6 2V repond to the most.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:24 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Default What mod(s) does the 4.6 2V repond to the most.

I have a 99' GT that I am going to start modding soon (full bolt on by spring) and I was wondering what type of mods does the 4.6 2V really respond to. I hear a lot of people talk about full exhaust, but is that really the mod that nets the most hp? I am not just talking about bolt-ons either, if there is some thing that could be done to the engine (bore, etc) I would like to know that as well. Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: What mod(s) does the 4.6 2V reponds to the most.

the only thing they respond really well to is forced induction (nitrous/super/turbo). other mods give you 5 here, 10 there, which does add up. but for the money, it's gonna get expensive. gears are really good for money though. they don't give HP, but plants you back in your seat. acceleration for the win!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

the only thing they respond really well to is forced induction (nitrous/super/turbo). other mods give you 5 here, 10 there, which does add up. but for the money, it's gonna get expensive. gears are really good for money though. they don't give HP, but plants you back in your seat. acceleration for the win!
I thought so.[&o] I didn't really want to spend all my money on a S/C tho. If I have the throttle body, plenum, FIPK, LT headers, catted x, SLP LM2's, Diablo tuner, and some V-tech stickers (joke) do you think I can reach the 300rwhp mark. My dealer said it had 300 at the crank but I'm pretty sure he was full of it since it had a stock looking air filter. He said it was cammed, but I don't belive that either. So I am going to say that it is stock minus the UD pullies. I have a shift kit, and some 4.10's are on the way.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:53 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you could get 300RWHP without forced induction. code3gt on this forum is over that mark. it's gonna cost some BIG bucks though. a lot more than a supercharger would cost in the end and you'd have more power with that.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuslee842

I thought so.[&o] I didn't really want to spend all my money on a S/C tho. If I have the throttle body, plenum, FIPK, LT headers, catted x, SLP LM2's, Diablo tuner, and some V-tech stickers (joke) do you think I can reach the 300rwhp mark. My dealer said it had 300 at the crank but I'm pretty sure he was full of it since it had a stock looking air filter. He said it was cammed, but I don't belive that either. So I am going to say that it is stock minus the UD pullies. I have a shift kit, and some 4.10's are on the way.
Did you get that in writing? Cause if you did, and it's not there, you can sue the dealership. Just thought I would throw that out there. I think you're gonna need more than that to hit the 300rwhp mark. If you aren't interested in the whole Forced induction aspect, go for a new heads/intake/cam combo. You can stay naturaully aspirated, upgrade your exhaust and intake and reach that 300 mark easily. It's still gonna cost you though. And yea, gears are the very best mod. No power increase, but as far as money vs. improvement goes, you can't beat it, unless you can find a cheap nitrous kit...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:56 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Definatly not.... Full boltsons + cam/tune will probably be around 300rwhp.

S/C is the way to go if you want power. All those mods you have listed are probably going to run close to 2500; Spend the extra 1000 and get teh s/c.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:14 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

my car responded very well to a $550 dollar NX nitrous kit. it took off a little more than over a second
Old 12-05-2005, 04:19 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I know I can do it N/A but I want to get S/C rd but that will take the majority of my money. Emann I didn't know I could sue if I got it in writing! I guess I was too excited when I bought the car, like a virgin in a strip club. The chump dosen't even work there anymore.[:@]
Old 12-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Yeah I know I can do it N/A but I want to get S/C rd but that will take the majority of my money. Emann I didn't know I could sue if I got it in writing! I guess I was too excited when I bought the car, like a virgin in a strip club. The chump dosen't even work there anymore.[:@]
Any claims they make about the car, always say "Can I get that in writing?". Either they will fess up to their "fluffing" of the car or they will be more than happy to document it. There are a lot of dealerships/salesmen who will say a car that has obvious mods like a loud catback and a chrome CAI (noticable to the buyer) and add a little to it to make it more appealing. Cams is great because you can't just look in and determine if he's BS'ing you. Always ALWAYS get that **** in writing.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

If you are auto, then full bolt ons will not get you above 300whp. If you want all motor I would do cams, heads, stall if you are auto, and exhaust. You are going to have trouble finding LT headers that will fit if you are auto. You should still be able to get into the 12s all motor with full bolt ons, heads, cams.

Quick Reply: What mod(s) does the 4.6 2V repond to the most.